What Do You Call Baby Telescopes?

Sonny

They look like they are doing very well. Like some of my bigger ones. Good job!

Have you rinsed the filter media yet and have you sponged the bottom ever so gently..? I presume you have. I did my first actual inside filter rinse the other day..before that I was just rinsing the hose on the outside. I can see clearer water now.

Anyway these 2 little guys look fabulous, the hardest part is over once the red bellies develop a seam and knit up all round to make the complete belly of the fish, which yours have and most of mine have now :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you rinsed the filter media yet and have you sponged the bottom ever so gently..? I presume you have. I did my first actual inside filter rinse the other day..before that I was just rinsing the hose on the outside. I can see clearer water now.

So far all I've done is use a baster to remove sediment from the bottom of the tank and replaced about 10 percent of the water that I removed when doing so. Guess it's time to do a little more cleaning.

Well, You only have 2....I was doing about 15% to 20%w/cs daily up until a few days ago (14 fry) and then I did a 40%..ooh did that feel good :) I think they're big enough now.

I thought I read on one of the fry care sheets that you shouldn't change the water during the first 30 days. That's why I have been shy about changing the water (it's also a lot easier that way :D ). Now that I see you're doing more water changes I'll feel more comfortable doing so.

I have to say I do the w/c's using a very small baby cup and it takes a long time! Pouring each cup back just under surface water level very slowly and taking the water out with a spoit and the small cup. It is nothing like water changes for adult fish. This is a delicate operation. I lost fry at water changes in the after swirl the last time I had fry and it made me this fanatic. It's your call if you wait or do one now sonny, I would hate to be responsible if anything were to go wrong :blink: All I can say is, my fry have been fine doing it this way :) .

sonny- I checked my fry diary. I started doing daily water changes of approx 15 -20% from day 7 as recommended by ranchu breeder Kroshinsky (in Erik Johnson's "Fancy Goldfish"). Maybe there are differing opinions on it.

Thanks Imogen! I have that book but hadn't consulted it for my fry care. (I primarily use it for Dr. Johnson's medical advice.) I will check it out today.

:) Wow, they look great! I missed the pics from the other day. The third pic looks like hes thinking, "And what do you think your looking at?"! Really cute. You are doing a really good job with them.

Here are a few shots of the babies at 4 weeks. Happy Birthday to you! :happyb

I'm doing some water changes now and they are learning to eat some Progold and daphnia. I'm thinking they may need a bigger tank/filter soon. :unsure:

TelescopeFry4wks1.jpg

TelescopeFry4wks2.jpg

TelescopeFry4wks3.jpg

TelescopeFry4wks4.jpg

:) I'm thinking they are going to need a bigger tank also! They have really grown and look wonderful. :exactly You have done a great job and your babies are proof to that!

I'm really pushing my luck with these guys because today I named them. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a jinx. The bigger one is Hubble (get it? :) ). And the smaller of the two is Magnifry. I will call her Maggie for short. :) They are still the greenish color. I'm wondering if they'll be colored like the Mom. She's a brown/green and white telescope.

Here they are at 5.5 weeks. I apologize for the pictures, they came out kind of dark.

TelescopeFry5.jpg

TelescopeFry5-1.jpg

TelescopeFry5-2.jpg

TelescopeFry5-3.jpg

TelescopeFry5-4.jpg

TelescopeFry5-5.jpg

Edited by Sonny

Good grief they are grOWing soo fast! They look just fabulous Jim, shiny and deep bodied. Hubble has a very impressive almost ryukin hump going on there :heart and magnifry/Maggie is cute with a nicely shaped broad shaped tail..great names 2 :) .

Thanks Imogen. They are growing well but I'm getting impatient for something to happen color-wise. :( Maggie's tail is looking good. I'm hoping it will be nice and flat. I must say that it has been so interesting watching them develop.

They have been weened from live baby brine shrimp and now get Progold, frozen daphnia and frozen blood worms. I'm also considering moving them into my aquarium with their parents because they need more room. Not sure if that is a good idea or not. An alternative is to put them into a spare 100 gallon stock tank outside for a while. That would probably be enough room for them for a while. :) It's just harder to keep a close eye on them when they are in a stock tank. :idont

• 1 month later...

Happy 3 month fry Sonny :D My fry hit their 3 month birthdays yesterday too. How are yours doing and what color did they eventually turn out? Dieing of curiosity here :hide:

Thanks Imogen! Happy Birthday to your fishes too. :exactly

Mine didn't ever change color really. They're both still a brown/green color, the smaller one is almost black. I'm kind of disapponted because I was expecting a dramatic color change that never happened. :(

I'll try and get some pictures soon.

It's not a good picture but you can get an idea of their color (such as it is :rolleyes: ). I guess if I wanted to sell them on eBay I'd call it a 'very rare green coloration' ;)

TelescopeFry3months1.jpg

Well there may not be much going on yet with color but look at the shape of those 2!! They look just perfectly shaped. Perfect fins and that round deep body that telescope fish should have. They are sweet :heart

And they are sure to change color eventually Jim. I have yet to see an adult fish with that green gold fry color :) And that fry black often disappears too and an under color or colors emerge. They are like little surprise layered packages :D .

• 7 months later...