Sign in to follow this  
hurleygurl_7

Fin Rot

this isnt about a goldfish that i have its about a tropical fish (platie i do believe) and i was wondering if using salt would be beneficial for the time being because its 10 30 at night and i cant go out and buy aquarium salt. i have epsom salts and sea salt but it has iodine and i have read that iodized salt isnt good. ahhh i dont know what to do!

Guest f1shface

NO SALT WITH IODINE!! Not sure what you're using salt for but aquarium salt and epsom salts serve different purposes

does anyone know if water softener salt has iodine? the brand is windsor salt. i know that you are not to use salt with iodine i havent put anything in yet because i want to be sure im not going to hurt the fish

on the website this is what it says:

Windsor System Saver? Pellets

(20 kg and 40 kg)

Windsor is the largest manufacturer of water softening salt in North America and understands why soft water is important to you. Now get 40% softer and cleaner water with System Saver Pellets, formulated to guarantee 99.7% pure salt. Windsor System Saver Pellets quality product and packaging are absolutely a cut above and that?s why ?Ya Gotta Get The Good One!?

Sold in a 20 kg, 25 kg and 40 kg bag.

each pellet is about one inch long and a quarter inch thick

Water softner salt may be safe enough,but you'll have to pulverise them so that you can dose correctly.What are your params for this tank?Usually keeping them in tact will be enough to clear fin rot up unless it's been left too long.

well i got some aquarium salt a few weeks ago and put about a teaspoon in the water (dissolved it first) and the fin has healed all up! :D

:) Good for you and fishy! Glad to hear that the salt was enough to help him back to health. :exactly

So adding salt works for finrot? Cause one of my brothers serpae tetras has pretty bad finrot now one of the others has it too. I added medication, i'll also add some salt.

Guest Oreo

well i got some aquarium salt a few weeks ago and put about a teaspoon in the water (dissolved it first) and the fin has healed all up! :D

Congrats, HG.

:bingo:

Guest lhsonic

I have some Petcetera General Aid, should I use that with aquarium salt or will just salt suffice. Using medication means removing my carbon filtration...

So adding salt works for finrot? Cause one of my brothers serpae tetras has pretty bad finrot now one of the others has it too. I added medication, i'll also add some salt.

Aquarium salt work great, you should try it out, they shoudl sell it at fish store or maybe you can get at nooppee, i try to treat my fish with aquarium salt and it work great, hahaha but I use melafix most of the tiem when my fish get fin rot, well actually currently my sarasa comet is havign tail damage so I use melafix, it's healing pretty slow...the tail is getting better but nto a big changes...