Sign in to follow this  
fondoo

Hole In Oranda Wen

i have a oranda thats has a hole in his wen. i mmediately quarantined him last night. my water quality is

pH: 7.2, ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0, nitrate: 10 it looks perfect to me.

i've started to feed him metro-med. what is the chance he will survive? has anyone here even experienced hole in head disease?

I just medicated for something similar sounding. Lionhead had a huge hole appear in his wen. Was white around the edges. I used Maracyn 1 and 2 along with MediGold and he was better within the 5 day treatment. :)

should i swab his wen with hydrogen perxiode?? i havent medicated the water yet, except with melafix for his tailrot.

You can swab it once,being very careful to avoid the gills and eye area of course.

The Metro-Meds have had great success in treating this,along with keeping your params exactly where they are right now.

I recently talked to Rick at the Goldfish Connection,and he says there's been a huge amount of this reported lately with Orandas.

What was his original tank size that he came out of,how many fish share the tank?

I actually dealt with this recently on one of my newer Oranda's.She had a tiny little hole started.Immediately started the Metro meds,and upped the water changes a bit,and it cleared right up in a matter of a few days.I did however continue on the course of the medicated food though.

Stress/poor water/diet/overstocking & crowded conditions(hence poor water),and even initial parasites carried with them could be culprits,so then it's a matter of figuring out what and why it happened. I was reading this morning about fish linked with a protozoan parasite, Hexamita (sometimes known as Octomitus). This may often be present at low levels in fish, but the acute infection does not occur unless factors like poor water quality or poor diet have an influence. Therefore, Hexamita alone may not be the primary cause, and good water quality and a varied diet should prevent this disease occuring.

Sometimes the more you read,the harder it gets to figure out. :krazy: Everything told you how to treat HITH,but nothing actually was saying how to get rid of these actual parasites if they indeed carry them,only how to treat the sores,so I'm still trying to understand it all :blink:

dev, did you swab your fish with hydrogen peroxide? i'm trying to avoid swabbing my fish, since pieces of his wen already came off this morning. my HITH(hole in the head) oranda has always been in the 55gal community tank. all of a sudden on friday night hole in the head started to appear. i can easily tell and QT him immediately. i feed him metro med 3x times a day in small amounts. i plan on doing a water change ever 2-3 days. did your oranda ever recover from this ordeal? this is my first time i've ever experienced HITH.

This particular Oranda was treated as soon as I saw the first signs.I started Metro meds asap,changed out a big amt. of water,and even though I got nervous,I swabbed with the HP once.That kind of puts a stop of sorts on the continuing deterioration of any more wen,so I think it may be a good thing to try.As I said,soak a q-tip,and gently swab the entire area just once.Hopefully that will stop any other wen from dropping off until the meds begin to do their thing. This is one of those diseases that can get out of hand literally overnight,so I was really afraid of not trying the swab.Within a few days,I couldn't even tell where the original problem was,but like I said,I treated as soon as I saw the first sign.It appeared sort of white,and you could tell that a tiny piece was gone. This is the only one that I've ever had this sort of problem with so I was very lucky as I know a few that lost their fish really fast from it,so yes,they can recover if dealt with immediately and water is pristene. :)

Same thing happened with my fish. I did not swab the spot. I treated as I said above and it healed up really quickly. The hole appeared overnight and shocked me. I think the nitrAte spike I had may have lowered his immunity.

Just sharing personal experience.

HOw are things going?

after treating him with metromed for two weeks straight, twice a day and water change every 3 days. his wen is doing much better. he's even gotta a little fat...

thanks for everyones help!!

youtube:

My baby red/black oranda developed this a couple days ago, but the first day I didn't know what it was because it just looked like maybe he nicked his head on something in the tank. Yesterday was day 2, so I QT him in pristine water conditions and treated the water with Melafix. I will continue to treat for 7 seven days, and will start feeding medicated food tonight. He is staying near the bottom of the tank, except for feeding time. I am so depressed. He's my favorite baby! He's already lost a large chunk of wen right in the front near his eyes, so I won't be able to swab. :(

i have a oranda thats has a hole in his wen. i mmediately quarantined him last night. my water quality is

pH: 7.2, ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0, nitrate: 10 it looks perfect to me.

i've started to feed him metro-med. what is the chance he will survive? has anyone here even experienced hole in head disease?

Your params are about the same as mine in my hospital tank. The only difference, my PH is 7.5

I started feeding my sick "Oscar" and my healthy fish a medicated food for parasites today, and also treated the hospital tank with Melafix yesterday and today...and the healthy fishes' tank with Melafix as well. I am so worried my baby red cap "Augustus" might have been exposed, so I am being cautious.

I am so heartbroken. "Oscar" is eating the pieces of his wen as it comes off. But he's still swimming vigorously at feeding time, and even seems to be slightly less lethargic today after being in the Melafix. Half of Oscar's wen is gone now. This HITH thing works fast, once it gets started.

Oscar BEFORE:

CID__04-21-07_1053.jpg

2nd day of HITH: (2 weeks into QT)

HITH3.jpg

HITH2.jpg

HITH1.jpg

This is pretty bad, isn't it? I want him to get better. :(

Hi lola,sorry to hear of your fish being ill.

Would you mind starting a new thread for your fish,that way you can answer all the questions up above,and we can go over things and see why he's not doing better than he is.Post a new thread soon. :)

Hey Lola,just saw that you did post a new thread in Emergency.As I said,please answer as many questions as you can,and we'll see what help we can give you.

Edited by Devs

i have a oranda thats has a hole in his wen. i mmediately quarantined him last night.

How is your fishie doing now? We should compare notes......do you have any pics?

after treating him with metromed for two weeks straight, twice a day and water change every 3 days. his wen is doing much better. he's even gotta a little fat...

thanks for everyones help!!

youtube:

fondoo,your fish looks wonderful and what a little cutie pie if I do say so myself. cutiepie2.gif I'm really happy for the two of you.What a relief!!!!whew.gif