Is It Just Me...?

kflynt2004

Hi there... (wow it's been ages since my last post! hello everybody! :) )

So...

Last summer (August 2006) a goldfish of mine got swollen... maybe a bit of pineconing too but im not sure.

Immediately i put it in quarantine. I thought it was dropsy and I followed a medical treatment. It got a bit smaller, pineconing (?) stopped... but fish has been swollen for almost 8 months now. It moves and eats and behaves ok. But sometimes I see some instability.. like swimmin upside down for a while..

What can this be? Maybe its only my idea that it's swollen??

:) Hi.Can you give us a rundown of water params,tank maintainance with water changes,etc.basically answering all the questions from up above so we have a better understanding of your tank,as that would help so much . :exactly

sure! i'll try... so

i have no tests available rite now... results always used to be right.

main tank size 30 gallon (2 goldfish) >> EHEIM 2080 (450gph)

quarantinte tank size 13 gallon (1 goldfish) >> EHEIM 2222 (132gph)

30% water change practically every 10-15 days :unsure:

i feed em progold and some tetra bloodworms. sometimes rice.

It would really help if you could tell us what type of goldfish it is,and maybe even show a pic if possible.

" results always used to be right" can not be trusted to ensure good water params.As your fish grow,they eat more,produce more ammonia and waste,so what may have use to work,could possibly not be enough to be working now.

I think also with your water changes,that you may want to up them to a weekly basis.Leaving them go 10-15 days is almost asking for trouble.You have great filters on the tanks.When and how often do you rinse them out( the filter media,pads,etc) in old tank water?

It's really hard to make any sort of call on a fish not knowing the exact water params and such.Swimming upside down could be caused by poor params,but it could also be a swimmbladder problem.Howw many times aday do you feed,and how much?

thanks for your help!

its supposed to be a pearlscale according to the pet shop i got it from... but it looks more like a fantail to me... ill send a pic asap!

When and how often do you rinse them out( the filter media,pads,etc) in old tank water?

the last time i did that was about 2 months ago. i do it every 6-8 months.

It's really hard to make any sort of call on a fish not knowing the exact water params and such.Swimming upside down could be caused by poor params,but it could also be a swimmbladder problem.Howw many times aday do you feed,and how much?

i feed once a day. About 10 progold pellets. i mean for the quarantine fish!

i thought it could be swimbladder, but this has been happening for over 6 months... how can this be possible? :krazy:

• 3 weeks later...

hi, how big are the fish, cause you might be overfeeding him. Mine only get 2 pellets and some flakes each. Do you soak the food before feeding it to him? It could be a swimbladder problem.