Meet Roland! My New Male Pearlie

Hi guys, here are a few pictures (the best I could get for now I'm afraid) of my new male pearlscale - Roland! (As named by Imogen - thanks again Imogen, it suits him so well, I just love it!! :heart )

This guy joined my three girlie pearlies last week after QT. I just love his colours and his pugish face! I fell in love straight away :rolleyes:

Picture002-10.jpg

Picture007-7.jpg

Picture027-2.jpg

Picture012-11.jpg

Picture014-5.jpg

Picture015-7.jpg

Picture016-6.jpg

Picture019-5.jpg

Edited by mrbumblebee

Here he is :heart !!!! Finally in the tank!

He is looking just fabulous after QT bumblebee. I agree with vmlola that face is so darn bulldog cute :D

Roland seemed like a nice solid name with a roll to it for a male pearlie and I am so relieved you like it!

How is Roland getting along with his pearlscale mates?

Thanks guys! :heart

are you hoping for babies?

He and Robin would have some very pretty fry!

How is Roland getting along with his pearlscale mates?

Yeah, the hope is for some fry one day. I'm not actively trying to breed them though. I've never looked after fry before but would love to have a go. I know for sure Womble, Robin and Wendy are girlies and that Roland is a boy (thanks to Imogen for help) so hopefully nature will take it's course, one day! At the moment Roland isn't too interested, but he is still settling in so we'll have to wait and see. However, I'd imagine that a big girl like Womble could be quite intimidating for any male! :rolleyes::D

your tank is crystal clear! what's your secret?

Thanks! It's not always as clear though, I have to work quite hard to keep it looking nice as I'm fully stocked now. I have a couple of good canisters, a UV thingy (which is great for reducing free-floating algae and improving water clarity), I change 40-50% of the water twice a week and the most important things - an algea scrubber and elbow grease! :D

congrats Mr. Pearlie...

I think you have the most pearlscales here now MrB :D !!

btw; I'm really hoping we got the genders right on your fish, or I am in bigtime trouble! Rolanda wouldn't suit so well at all :rofl

congrats Mr. Pearlie...

I think you have the most pearlscales here now MrB :D !!

btw; I'm really hoping we got the genders right on your fish, or I am in bigtime trouble! Rolanda wouldn't suit so well at all :rofl

:rofl

It's OK Imogen, I wouldn't blame you - too much! ;)

No, I think we're absolutely right with Roland, he's getting more breeding stars and has the thickened first ray of his pectorals with bumps too? I still can't get a really clear look at the vent yet though. Also, I've noticed that Wendy and Robin have some little white bite marks on their tails so he may be doing a little chasing and nipping when I'm not around, nothing too serious though. Family members say he's been following them too. We'll see! I'll give him lot's of time to settle in :)