Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jen C

Sick Fishy. Sitting On Bottom Of Tank. Sometimes Gasping :(

Guest Jen C

My fantail goldfish has been sitting on the bottom of the tank since Saturday. He sometimes seems to be gasping. Does not go after food...does not swim at all. I've had him about 6 years. I had him in a small (1 1/2 gallon) tank until the day before yesterday. I took a water sample to my local fish store and had it tested. Ph was "ok", ammonia was "a little" high. Got a 10 gallon tank and all new stuff as the fish store guy said my tank was too small. I bought and used stress coat. No change in Fishy sad.gif Today I went and got anything I could find...

Test results: Nitrates 0, hardness 75 (soft), alkalinity 120, ph 6.8, ammonia .25.

I added Quick Cure and Melafix.

The aquarium that I bought has a power filter and today I added an airstone.

Fishy is an only fish smile.gif I feed him flake food but I have not fed him since yesterday. He does not seem to have any red streaks or anything. I thought initially that he had a haze over his eyes, but that seems to have gone away. I can't tell for sure, but he seems a little bloated maybe, but not much. I don't know what is wrong with him...please help!

well first of all it sounds like your ph is a little low goldfish like their ph to be up around 7.0 - 7.5 anything below that will stress the fish out and sometimes cause them to sit on the bottom of the tank.

the second thing i have noticed is that you said you feed your fantail flakes, correct me if i am wrong but have you only been feeding flakes for 6yrs. if so that could be another problem you should mix their diet up by giving them cooked peas cut up really tiny or you can mush the peas up and put them in just remeber the rule of thumb is to deshell them first. The peas are good with constipation but also provide a good source of nutriunce. you can also give you goldies some other cooked vegies such as carrots and zuchinni. another thing where your goldfish tank is located is their enough sunlight??????????

if not you should substitute sunlight with an aquarium white light. correct me if i am wrong but did you say you use water dechloranator

HOPE THIS HELPS!

oh forgot to add this maybe you show us a photo of him?

p.s. you said he looks a little if it is bloat a photo woul help you alot better so people can look at what is wrong, secondly if it is bloat then you need to buy some epsom salts and add 1/8 of a teaspoon to the tank

just hold off on that because i am not exactly sure on the meausrements but i am sure it is 1/8 of a teaspoon

Lets try to keep this all to one thread to avoid confusion. :) First I see you have ammonia. I would do a big waterchange ASAP to get that down. Your pH is a bit low but is it pretty consistant? Goldfish can deal with a wide range of pH as long as it isnt all over the place.

I would recommend investing in a test kit (API makes a great master test kit) as the water is most important. By testing, you know when your tank is cycled, and after that when you need to do a waterchange.

What kind of filter are you using on the tank?

Are his scales sticking out as well as being bloated? Have you noticed what his poo looks like?

A good water dechlorinator is Prime. It will take the place of any other additives you are adding to the water. It takes metals from tap water and detoxifies ammonia and nitrate. Great product.

Answer as many questions as possible in the box above and someone with more knowledge will be along to help soon. :)

Guest Jen C

Hi! Thanks to all for responding. I admit that I have a lot to learn about fishy, but I love him and I'm trying :) I have in fact been feeding him flakes for 6 years, except for one time when I tried pellets. (But he didn't like them) Dumb question...canned peas? Fishy is still hanging in there. He is still just sitting, but he moves from place to place to sit when I'm not watching. This morning he was sitting in the center of his tank on top of some leaves!!! His eyes are very clear and he seems to be gasping less. He just seems unable to swim. I have not been feeding him as the guy at the fish store said to fast him. (Just a small bit yesterday as I feel bad, I can't starve him :( )

I last changed the water when I put him in his new tank. That was Tuesday. He has one of those lights on top of his aquarium. His filter is a power filter and he has a 10 inch airstone. I have been using stress coat dechlorinator. I haven't seen his poo... He seems to try to swim and sinks to the bottom, like he doesn't have the strength...

I just did water tests again with the same results as Thursday.

Thanks again :)

Guest Jen C

I have pictures of him and also a video on my SD card but I'm not sure how to attach it here. :)

As you've placed him in a bigger tank with a filter and such,it will be more important than ever to test the water params daily and do the water changes necessary to keep the params in check as your tank will be going through the "Cycling" stage,which is very hard on a fish.

This article may help you understand it a bit more. :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

As for the peas,they should be fresh or frozen as canned peas contain salt which the fish really doesn't need.You can take a few frozen peas,cook them in a bit of water in the microwave until soft.Then you want to remove the shell casing from the pea,squish it a bit with your fingers and drop it in for the Goldie.He may not have a clue at first,but it won't take him too long to figure it out. :D

Goldfish stay much healthier with a mixed diet of foods.You may be surprised at how many different things he'll eat.Check out the food section to get some ideas. :exactly

One of the best things that you can do for a fish that seems a bit off,is a big water change.Often times,all it takes for a fish to act out of sorts,is any reading of ammonia or Nitrites,no matter how low the numbers are. In a cycled tank,those readings should always be 0.

Even though he's been living 6 years too long in a tank that's been entirely too small,I have to give you credit,as you've kept him around for 6 years. :D That is something to be proud of for sure.

Now that you've found us,here's a good opportunity to learn how to keep him around many years longer,and have him happy and thriving.I wish you the best of luck,and please,if you have any questions at all,don't hesitate to ask. :D

Guest Jen C

Hi :) Fishy is still hanging in there... in fact he seems healthier, but he still is sitting on the bottom of the tank. When I help him up he sinks fast... but he tries :) The more I read, the more I worry about swim bladder... any thoughts? Local pet store said to get Binox. Also thought about aquarium salt. I'm trying the peas...he seems to like them and tries to go after them, but only eats really if its right in front of his mouth. I appreciate all of the advice on this forum... I'm pretty clueless...