Sign in to follow this  
Guest Berserkerer

Um...

Guest Berserkerer

How do you deal with a dead fish? :unsure:

I can't bury it, and flushing it down the toilet or throwing it out seems unhumane.

So I need advice.

I wrapped mine up in a paper towel, put it in a zipblock bag, and threw him away.

I couldn't burry it either and didn't want to flush him. Seemed the best idea.

If mine still have a store warranty then I freeze them and take them back to the store. If it's a small fish than I flush. Big, I toss out. Sounds mean to me but I can't bury a fish.

I typically bury my fish when they die, but I have a huge backyard so having the space to bury isn't an issue. My goldfish are far too big to flush, they'd get stuck and I can't bear the thought of sending them out with the trash.

If you have outdoor pets then I would toss it. I only flush small fish but I toss big fish. I own 4 outdoor cats and 4 dogs. burying is not an option for me.

I live in an apartment building so I cannot bury either. I put them into 2 plastic bags and put them in the garbage.

Flushing is not a good idea for any size fish though.

I'm so sorry you lost your fish. :(

I've buried more than a few (complete with popsicle stick crosses), and have also had some that I've put in zippy bags and placed (gently) in the garbage can.

It sucks no matter what route you take. Flushing down the toilet is bad for the environment and water system, though, so a respectful dispensation into the garbage bin is probably best. :(

Lisa