Sign in to follow this  
emmaandkat

Problem

About 3 years ago i went to a pet shop knew nothing about fish just thought they needed water food. Tadah.

Now i know alot more and i thank you guys so much for that.

I was given four fish in about a...around 8 gallon tank 2 common goldfish (which turned out to be commets) and two orandas (turned out to be ryukins). I know what your thinking. Way too small. One died pretty quickly. Then i found this site and felt ashamed to even tell you about the size of my tank with 3 fish in it (which were now pretty big). Then problems started. Bubbles (my ryukin) started to show signs of swimbladder i wasnt able to get the test results to prove what it was. That made me feel bad. They started fighting and i finaly convinced my mum and dad to get a bigger tank (me being 12 needed permission to get one and money). We got a bigger one. Which we were told was big enough but i still think not. I dont know exactly how big it is but its around 12 gallons. We were not told this at the shop but when i roughly measured it thats what i found out. I told my mum and said its supposed to be 10 gallons per fish, but she didnt underdstand. A fish is a fish. They started fighting..well bullying. That was my first real problem that i mentioned on here, i ended up splitting them up Bubbles (Ryukin) in the old one and Squirt and Gurgle in the new one. Bubbles started improving just when he seemed to be doing so well he died. I remember being so upset. And then out of the blue Gurgle...he seemed to be the strongest and biggest out of all of them and that really shocked me now im trying to give squirt the best life possible. But its not going to good. Shes big and after seeing that video on youtube im really worried. I want a nice long tank for her thing is my mum doesnt........too much cleaning. Seriously annoying. Im told and told again to give Squirt away. But they only people i know who would look after her, know hardly anything about fish. "Put her in a nice big pond." What and be eaten.I couldnt face to give her away. Just like ive abandoned her like shes too much of a problem.

I know the tanks too small because all she does go up down up down in just one stroke of the tail sometimes she doesnt even bother.

Sorry for the essay.... :unsure:

Anyone got any ideas what i should do?

Ill go and have another go at convincing my mum to let me get a bigger tank..

You have to talk to your mom in a very logical manner. Do all the research ahead of time.

Where would the larger tank go?

Where you would you get it from and how much would it cost?

What additional accessories would you need and how much would they be?

Are you willing to work for those items - and if so, how?

You can explain to her that very small tanks are much more difficult to care for. The water quality goes south very quickly and easily - it is a delicate balance between "ok" and "toxic". With a larger tank, you have far more time to react before there are problems. Of course, a REALLY large tank hsa its own problems, but a simple 20 -29 gallon tank should be a wonderful thing. It gives you responsibility, but not too much time and effort. With just one fish in a 20 gallon tank you will actually, most likely, cut back on the care time. You will not have to change out such a large percentage of the water and will not have to do it so often. Your fish will be a joy to watch.

Most parents want their children to experience caring for another living creature. It is a very valuable lesson in life. If you show that you have the maturity to do it well and do it right, I should think your parents would be very proud of you. I am.

In addition to Daryl's suggestions, I think your mom might also be very concerned about the financial cost of taking care of these fish. Medium and large tanks can be quite expensive.

Take a look at your classifieds (either through the paper or online like Craigslist.org) and see if you can find a good sized tank + equipment for cheap as free. :)

Guest Berserkerer

In addition to Daryl's suggestions, I think your mom might also be very concerned about the financial cost of taking care of these fish. Medium and large tanks can be quite expensive.

Take a look at your classifieds (either through the paper or online like Craigslist.org) and see if you can find a good sized tank + equipment for cheap as free. :)

That's a good way. I bought my 30 gallon tank + equipment through the newspaper's classified section for 25 dollars.

I agree, you're going to want to do some research and figure out how big of a tank you need/want, what other equipment and accessories you'll need (at the very least you need to get a water test kit and a filter that does 10x gallons per hour of your tank, so if you have a 20 gallon tank you'll want something like a Penguin 200, which filters 200 gallons per hour), where the tank will fit, and who is going to take care of it.

The filter and test kit you can get a really good deal on by going to vvvv.com. Find the test kit and filter you want and print out the price. Then drive to a real vvvv. If you live in the US the store will price match it for you and you'll save some money. (I saved $15 on my Penguin 200 filter!).

I also agree that craigslist.org is a great place to find a tank. I bought my 29 gallon tank for $20 through Craigslist. But get your parent's permission before you e-mail anyone about anything on there. When you find a good deal, show your mom and if she okays it then you can e-mail them.

-----------

Also, it IS much easier to take care of a bigger tank. I had a 10 gallon tank and I had to change 5 gallons of water EVERY day! I would use my test kit to test my water and the water would be TOXIC, so I had to put lots of new water in to get GOOD water for my fish. Now I have a 29 gallon and I change 5 gallons of water every WEEK. It's much easier to change five gallons a week than five gallons a day.

As far as cleaning goes, it's pretty much the same as my 10 gallon tank. The only thing I would recomend for you is to make sure that you can reach the bottom of the tank comfortably. I have a 29 gallon that sits on my dresser. 29 gallon tanks are pretty tall (18 inches) and I have to use a stool in order to touch anything on the bottom of my tank. It's a pain in the bum, honestly, so make sure wherever your tank is going to be sitting, you get a size where you can reach the bottom!

Also, it's better to be understocked than overstocked. Don't buy a new tank and then buy a new fish because you have more space! less fish=less poop=less water changes :D

Good luck lady, being 12 and broke is hard. That's why I didn't get any pets until I was 18 and had money to do what I wanted :rolleyes:

Since it was my birthday not long ago i have enough money for tank, equipment and so on.

I know where it could go and i dont see whats wrong with it.

I dont think my mum realises that a fish still has a life.

There was something she said today when i asked her about it that i will not repeat it was that bad.

I know she hates the fish and i think she just thinks its boring and it does nothing.

Im gonna go and tell her now what you've just said.

I want a new tank for her so bad.

Since it was my birthday not long ago i have enough money for tank, equipment and so on.

I know where it could go and i dont see whats wrong with it.

I dont think my mum realises that a fish still has a life.

There was something she said today when i asked her about it that i will not repeat it was that bad.

I know she hates the fish and i think she just thinks its boring and it does nothing.

Im gonna go and tell her now what you've just said.

I want a new tank for her so bad.

Same for me. My mom told me that I have already spent too much money on my fish (around $100 to get our old tank up and running again). She told me that I can either get a new tank or go on the trip to France with a few of my friends that I'm paying for. My dad doesn't really care if I get a bigger tank (I have 4 in a 20 gal) but said that they are "just fish" and that I shouldn't waste money on them. :( So I understand completely what you are going through. Hang in there.

Thats exactly what my mum and dad think. Its just a fish. Its fine in whatever size tank.

They dont really understand a thing.