Sign in to follow this  
GoinNuts

The Learning Curve

The biggest thing I've learned is that you can never, ever be too careful when siphoning a fry tank. I lost a LOT via siphoning accidents. :(

I've also learned that until they reach 3/4 - 1 inch in size, even the slightest current can damage the back and/or fins. They are so amazingly fragile, it's scary.

Oh, and once they become free floating and eating fry food, man! Do they ever become poop machines! I bet they poop at least 10xs their weight in less than a day. That was astonishing to me, being they were so small you could barely see them. But the proof was in the poop all over the bottom. :D

So, what have you all learned with your gf-breeding experiences?

Lisa

So, what have you all learned with your gf-breeding experiences?

That my goldfish only want to breed, drop and fertilize eggs when I'm...

A) Sleeping and they are finishing off the eggs just as I am waking up. :cry

B) Away from the house for a few hours and of course too late again. :madrant

C) Just trying to torture me and the eggs aren't even fertilized! :thud

Guest myfourgoldies

I have learned that even if it is an unwanted, unexpected suprise here are some fry, it is a rewarding amazing miricle that life can start so small and look like aliens but eventually they will become goldfish

I also agree about the poop, cuz I never thought I could lug that many buckets of water around my house every twelve hours.

Oh yeah and I never want to do it again :rofl too much stress

Hence boys in one tank girls in the other!

The last thing I learned was thank God Koko's exists and I found it cuz I would never have gotten through the first few days without the information and advice that is available here :exactly

I learned that the huge amount of waterchanges get old... really fast! :rofl

I also found out the hard way about siphoning. I too lost a lot of fry by accidentally sucking them up. :(

That my goldfish only want to breed, drop and fertilize eggs when I'm...

A) Sleeping and they are finishing off the eggs just as I am waking up.

B) Away from the house for a few hours and of course too late again.

C) Just trying to torture me and the eggs aren't even fertilized!

:rofl While I didn't exactly experience that, I can easily imagine how frustrating it could be!

Oh yeah and I never want to do it again too much stress

Hence boys in one tank girls in the other!

Ditto to that! It has been an awesome experience, but not one I want to go through again. Too much heartbreak and tons upon tons of water buckets and stress. :exactly

The last thing I learned was thank God Koko's exists and I found it cuz I would never have gotten through the first few days without the information and advice that is available here

Amen to that.

I learned that the huge amount of waterchanges get old... really fast!

It does, doesn't it? I can do every other day or every third day water changes with no problem. But DAILY changes wear me OUT, lol! Multiple daily water changes put me in the ground. :P

Okay, one other thing I've learned: It's all worth it. Once. I may get the bravery and space to attempt it again one day, but it will NOT be taken on as lightly as it was this time. :blink:

Lisa

:exactly I would love to try again one day too when I have more room!

I think you have to be in a space where you have a lot of time. I know thats true for keeping goldies anyway but for fry its especially crucial. I went away for 3 days, I came back half way through that time but the schedule had changed and maybe I upset things by doing that. I was doing 2 one third water changes every day and for a few days I couldn't do that or feed as regularly (3 x a day).

There has to be space ahead in your life when you are not planning trips or having too busy a work schedule to manage all the work and worry breeding involves. Thats looking ahead a few months.

There has to be space ahead in your life when you are not planning trips or having too busy a work schedule to manage all the work and worry breeding involves.

So true, Imogen. Fry are very time-consuming, to say the least. It's almost like deciding to have a human baby, so much work and worry is involved. Actually, I think human babies are easier. That is, until they reach the teenage years. :blink:

Lisa

PS: I was so sad to read about Houdini. I posted on your fry thread, but just wanted to extend my condolences here, too. He was special and I know you miss him greatly. You did such an awesome job with him and I hope you don't blame yourself.

hey lisa! the things ive learned during these past 6 weeks of raising fry is number one so much time is dedicated into these little creatures. my house chores have come 2nd hand around here lately it seems. cleaning the fry tank has been more of a chore than cleaning my kids room :rofl the feedings have reminded me of those up all night with baby moments but rewarding also. its so amazing how a little clear egg with tiny eyeballs emerge into a beautiful fish. i think the most though that ive learned is no matter how many fry you lose or cant hatch its the ones or in my case the only one who lives that gave me the chance to be apart of a long journey ahead in goldie keeping. im so proud of myself for even trying and not giving up. :D now can i add i might keep my boys seperate for awhile! :rofl

hey lisa! the things ive learned during these past 6 weeks of raising fry is number one so much time is dedicated into these little creatures. my house chores have come 2nd hand around here lately it seems. cleaning the fry tank has been more of a chore than cleaning my kids room :rofl the feedings have reminded me of those up all night with baby moments but rewarding also. its so amazing how a little clear egg with tiny eyeballs emerge into a beautiful fish. i think the most though that ive learned is no matter how many fry you lose or cant hatch its the ones or in my case the only one who lives that gave me the chance to be apart of a long journey ahead in goldie keeping. im so proud of myself for even trying and not giving up. :D now can i add i might keep my boys seperate for awhile! :rofl

sorry guys it posted to many times

Edited by jewels

why it posted like this i dont know :blink:

Edited by jewels