Sign in to follow this  
hurleygurl_7

How Long Does It Take For Goldfish To Grow?

I hope this isnt a really dumb question, but i was just wondering how long it takes for fancy goldfish to grow to their full size, and what their full size is

Full size can be up to 7 inches for fancy goldfish.

Whether they reach that full size and how long it takes them to get there depends on lots of things, including:

-genetics (some people are tall, some are short, same concept applies to fish)

-food (the better quality food with more protein (salmon, halibut, krill, shrimp) and less carbs (wheat and the like) will probably make your fish grow more

-tank size (10 gallons per fish is ideal, more if you can)

-water quality (having a cycled tank with 0 ammonia/nitrite and nitrates below 40)

You never know for sure how big your fish can get until it gets there. Some people have seen their fish double in size within a month, other fish take a lot longer. In the goldfish pics forum there's a thread dedicated to goldfish "before" and "after" and most members include the time passed so you can see how much and how fast a fish can grow.

I am going to disagree just a mite, here. Depending on breed, fish can reach much greater sizes than just 7 inches. A lot depends on how you are measuring. You can measure just the body and not the tail, or you can measure the entire fish.

Some breeds tend to be a bit shorter - such as pearlscales. But their bodies are very large and round - like a baseball. They have a lot of mass, even though they are not as long.

Other breeds, like a lionhead or ranchu, also, carry a HUGE mass in respect to length. I have several Lionhead/ranchu that are 9-12 inches long -with or without tails. Their bodies are very thick and heavy - they are VERY large fish. They could not live in a 10 gallon tank - nor could they really live easily in just 10 gallons per fish - without a GREAT deal of water care.

Orandas tend to be GIANTS in the goldfish world. They can commonly reach 12 inches plus. There have been a few recorded record fish that reach far beyond that. I have seen many telescope eyed fish that are easly 10 inches plus in length.

Commons/Comets are a totally different story. You can find them 18-20 inches in ponds all over the place. They are long, streamlined fish, so do not carry as much mass per length as other fancies, but they can really grow.

Lightweights in the fancy world - the veils and other such fish may get very large bodies, but measuring them including the tail will give you HUGE lengths. A fancy such as this may carry a tail that is twice its body length - so the length of the fish may be misleading.

Ryukins are commonly as deep a fish as they are long. They, too, may appear, in inches or cms, to be a "smaller" fish, but they can have great mass - and be a truly big fish, too. I have Ryukin that are only about 8 inches in length, but the bodies are at least 6 inches deep -with a round belly like a baseball. They are very large, and also would not do well in only 10 gallons of water.

A fish will continue to grow its entire life. It never stops. The majority of the growth is done in the first few months - it slows dramatically after that. Depending on nature and nuture (genetics and husbandry) the fish will grow at various speeds and to various sizes.

:goodpost Exactly why you have to think about adult size when stocking your tank