Wound On New Ranchu-pics

rwersted

One of my new fish that I just received has wound of sorts on her back. She has had it since I got her on Wed. Her and the lionhead are in a QT tank. They are both eating well and very active.

QT tank-22 gallon tub, bubble disk, temp~74

Ammonia-0

Nitrite-0

Nitrate-5

pH-7.6

2 Whisper 20 filters

50 water change Fri, and 100% water change today because the little monkeys sprayed eggs everywhere, you can see some in teh bucket I put them in.

2 Fish, 4 in ranchu and 4.5 in lionhead

Prime, 0.1% salt

I used 1 dose parasite clear Thurs

They had peas till Fri then Medi-gold because of wound.

The pics are very accurrate, it looks like a red ring with a black line in it. Any advice would be apprecciated.

Rach

1-2.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q318/rwersted/2-2.jpg

I do not know what that could be, as I haven't seen anything like it before. I'm not going to give any misleading advise except to keep your water pristine and to maybe add some salt. I do not know if antibiotics are needed but its good that you posted a pic as that will help.

The best thing for wounds is to keep the water absolutely pristine, and to add salt (which you have already done).

You could also swab the wound with hydrogen peroxide (3% solution). Be careful that none of the hp gets into the gills or mouth. Only do this once, as repeatedly doing this will take off any healing tissue.

How does the wound look today? Better or worse?

Sometimes when fish are shipped, they tend to get small injuries from the shipping process.I'm thinking that this may have indeed been what has happened,and the black,would be a healing sign whether it was from ammonia in bag,or the actual injury itself.My only concern is that red circle seems to be very prominent. :unsure:

I would definitely stick with a 14 day course of Medi-gold twice a day,just to be safe.

Is that area/scale seem open,or lifted at all?

I once had a fish with a red circle. I think the cause was very high ammonia in a shipping bag. It took 5 days for the spot to disappear with good water and a bit of salt. I agree that feeding the Medi-gold would be a good idea, too. With this fish, I didn't use Medi-gold, though.

Here is a picture of the spot. Not a great picture because it was taken with my previous camera:

post-582-1176137591_thumb.jpg

I just got a reply from Tommy and he agrees 100% it's an injury from shipping. He sent me pics of the fish from the auction and it definately wasn't there. He recommended upping the salt to .35-.4% and for the best results adding a baytril inj. It does all of a sudden look more inflammed so I'll get some inj tomorrow at work. He's been very nice and I feel better after he emailed. At least I know I am only dealing with a wound.

:) That is good news Rach! I know he will recover being with you and the good care you provide for your fish. Tommy is great to work with and really stands behind his fish.

:D Good to hear that the redness is lessening,that's for sure.I'm sure now that he's being fed Medi-Gold,and in clean salted water,that everything is going to be fine. I bet you're feeling much better about it. :exactly