Sign in to follow this  
merlinsmom

Figured It Out!

I figured out what was making Splotchie sick.I thought it was the extra silicone in the tank(second hand I bought last month)....but it isn't.The tank came with a large clear "crystal" rock.SALT!!! It dawned on me yesterday"Maybe that is a salt rock".So I looked online and it is!Called Halite.And it was leeching extra salt onto the water,I have a salt crust around the top of the tank,filters,light hood,that is not on the other tank.Mystery solved.

Guest jbyrd3810

Awsome, glad you found the problem!

Huzzah! Glad to hear it. Its always most frustrating I think when there's something wrong but you dont know what it is to actually do anything about it!

Wow, so that has been in the tank all along?

I haven't been keeping up with your other thread, so how the heck did you get a giant piece of salt in your tank?

Oh my goodness!

You'd think the sellers would have...I don't know...mentioned that? eeks.

I'm glad you figured it out! It would have been a shame to have to get rid of your new tank!

Yes,it came in the tank,along with the gravel.I doubt if the seller even knew what it was,she didn't have the tank very long either before she sold it,maybe her fish got sick too,and she didn't put it together.It was probably a rock she had kicking around & stuck in her tank.I have never seen one in the pet stores here.I know there was ALOT of salt in the gravel when I cleaned the tank to prepare to use it.I emailed her to ask if it had been used for salt water tank,and she said no,that she kept goldfish in it.