Impellers!

During my weekly cleaning (the straightening under the tank part) I was clearing out stuff (out of date or just "what is this!" stuff) I found the manufacturer paperwork on my AQ 110 filters. I was glancing over it & noticed cleaning suggestions. It said to clean the impellers regularly! I don't even know that I have ever done that!! I took all three filters down & took a look! ECK! There WAS gunk in there! It was very easy to clean. ((Be sure to tighten the motor back snuggly)). After I cleaned them & got them running, I was again straightening under the tank when I heard the startling sound of water dripping!! I had failed to tighten one of the motors up good enough!! :krazy: You shoulda seen how quickly I switched that filter off & got it into the kitchen!! Whoosh!! Thankfully I didn't have the tv or radio going I might not have heard the dripping!!

Anyway it says you should clean out the implellers regularly!

Guest myfourgoldies

Yep you are right about cleaning. We used to have a tropical tank witha smaller AC on it where I used to work, we never used to clean the impeller untill one day it conked out. We thought the filter died cuz it was older went bought a new one and then were taking the old one apart and noticed that the impeller was covered in gunk.. sure enought we cleaned it up and the darn filter worked just fine again :krazy: spent money on a new one and idn't need to :rofl Well I guess it never hurt to have an extra filter!

Lol! it's funny how some people never even know what an impeller is, let alone realizing that it needs to be cleaned on a regular basis! I used to get heaps of people coming back to the aquarium that I worked in a couple of months after buying their filter complaining that it didn't work anymore etc... I used to just open up the impeller chamber, clean it out for them and reassemble the filter. -Most people were kinda sheepish when they realised that it was because they hadn't cleaned their unit properly, especially when they come into the shop hurling abuse at the store clerk (me), like it was my fault that their filter broke. :lol1:o

yep, and don't forget to clean out the chamber that houses the impeller. it can get gunky too. I use a pipe cleaner to get up there.

Archived