Sign in to follow this  
Zelanie

Sunlight

Although the instructions that came with the tank said not to do this, I put my (29 gal) tank by a window. The window is a set of 3 windows, with the tank in front of the middle one. The windows have honeycomb shades, so I could let as much or as little natural sunlight come in as I want.

Now, I've heard that sunlight's advantages are that it's good for fish and their colors. I've heard that the disadvantages are that it promotes green algae growth (which, of course, is also good for fish, just not good for people who want to be able to see their fish).

Are there any other advantages or disadvantages that I should know about?

I've been keeping the shade partially open on one of the windows on the end, so that some indirect sunlight comes into the tank. But yesterday, the power was out almost all day, and the fish were looking kind of listless, so I opened all of the shades. When I closed them, I decided to leave the center shade open, so that the afternoon sun can come directly into the tank.

It doesn't get too bright in there (this is Oregon, after all), but I think that the tank looks really beautiful with the sunlight on it. The fish don't seem bothered by it. I don't mind a little bit of extra algae scrubbing, especially if it encourages the green over the dreaded brown. It's a new tank, so I haven't seen anything other than brown algae so far.

I'd also like to go planted at some point, starting off with plants that won't require me to upgrade my hood. Would letting in the natural sunlight be good for that, too?

So, what do you think? Am I causing any harm to my fish by letting the light in?

hi! im not to sure on this but my fry tank is in the middle of 3 windows to. the fry seem to like the natural sun that comes in. as soon as i open some of the curtains jelly bean(my oranda fry) seems to dart over to the light. i hope someone can help you cuz i need to know if its bad for my little jelly bean so far though hes thriving good and enjoying the sun! :)

Well i would say that sunlight is not bad at all.But when your tank has settled its self. You are going to get a heck of a lot of agea.Thats if you have high nitrates.But on the other hand you did say you want liVe plants. If you do this then the plants will take all the nitrates in and stop the algea from growing.Its just getting the balane right really like every thing else.

when ever you want help with plants post up and i will be more then happy to help you.