Sign in to follow this  
jamisskat

Nitrait Levels

hey guys, my 2nd 55 gallon has been up and running for 3 weeks. i had the water tested today and the tube turned bright orange high nitraits. i did a 50 percent change and went back to test again its still got nitraits. when should i do another water change i dont want to stress fish. keep in mind tank is still doing a cycle. i must be doing something right cuz other 55gallon water was perfect. i do 50 percent on that once a week.

Edited by jewels

I take it it?s the nitrites you are having problems with and not the nitrates. If so just keep doing water changes. I find doing more with less water is better. So like 35% each day to take the stress off your filters. And keep the testing up. You should find that it drops when it gets to around 0%. Stop the each day water changes and do 2 a week and they should stabilize. Let me no how it goes

Aquarium salt may help to bring nitrite level down (I read some where on the net).

Aquarium salt may help to bring nitrite level down (I read some where on the net).

If yoiu are going to do this please be carfull how much you add.As some fish dont like it more then others.Try adding 1 tsp. But i tend not to add anything unless there off the chart.

Sorry, but I don't agree with this statement. Nitrite levels are decreased by either biological processing, or removing it through waterchanges. -Adding salt is good for your goldies to buffer them from the toxic effects of cycling, but too much salt actually hinders growth of good bacteria that converts the nitrite into nitrate during the cycle. :o

:) I'm with Mads on this one.Salt is basically a temporary relief for a fish's gills,until the Nitrites can be reduced to a non toxic level.Aquarium salt somehow reduces the toxic effect,by allowing the uptake of oxygen through the gills. Salt does not reduce Nitrites. :exactly