Sign in to follow this  
Guest LION.HEAD

Aquaclear Filters

Guest LION.HEAD

Those who use AQUACLEAR filters:

Do you think they are safe for the fishes? Do your fishes sometimes get their fins or tails stuck in the small openings where water is sucked in? I've seen that happen to my fishes. Is there a way to solve this problem? I don't want my fishes to have cut and torn fins and tails.

Edited by LION.HEAD

How big is your fish?

If your fish is less than 1", you can use pre-filter sponge attaching to the intake tube.

If they are larger than 1", they should able to swim away from intake(unless they are sick.)

they shouldnt have a problem. i have one and i havent had any problems.

I run a AC 50 and two AC30 on my 25 gallon.None of my fish have had any problems.I did loose one fish and he was sucked up to the intake,but I think he died first.My fish are 3+ inches now,but even at 1 inch they were fine.

I think as long as your fish are big enough, they should have no problem with the suction from the intake. If they aren't, it's a simple matter to fashion a safety around it with a few pieces of plastic canvas until they are. (ETA: I'm running an AC 110 on my 6 wk fry tank. With the plastic canvas box around it, there are no worries. Once they get big enough, I'll remove it.)

I LOVE my AquaClears and am kicking myself for not knowing about them sooner and wasting money on bio-wheel filters.

Lisa

Edited by GoinNuts

I love my Aquaclears and use them on all my tanks, including the tanks with small fish. :)

The AQ's are FANTASTIC!! I think the only time a fish has a problem (excluding fry!) is when they are sick or injured.

I have 2 AQ110's running on my big tank & even my little baby Blue Oranda is fine in there. I have even seen him go up to the intakes to pick at....whatever...but he still wasn't pulled to the intake!

:exactly

I have 2 fry (almost 3 months now) in a 30 gallon with an AC 70 on it. They are both doing great. :D

I ADORE my ACs as well... they're decently priced, flexible in media options (can pretty much put whatever you want in there), sleek looking, sturdily attach to any aquarium, run smoothly. The only issue I've had with mine is that when the plug is pulled (or power goes out, etc) when it starts back up, whether or not it will actually run right away without help is kind of a hit or miss proposition; sometimes it will, sometimes it wont... it's not really a big deal, usually all that's required is a couple scoopsful of water from my hand to the fiter resevoir and everythings ginger peachy.

Must agree! Love the AQC! No probs with fish - even small ones. I've had mine for almost a year now with no problems ever! And i don't expect any either! When i upgrade, i will go with the AQ again for sure!

Guest myfourgoldies

I have to agree I love my aquaclears. I switched over to them about 6 monthes ago from a diffent HOB type. I used to have major problems with the other ones with clogging up and the propeller would stop mysteriously it got tothe point I wanted to throw them out the second story window. The new AC's are awesome have not had any problems at all!

I love mine too. I have had the re-starting problem too, but it they always start back up with a little TLC. Small price to pay for all the other benefits.

:) I have AquaClear filters on some of my tanks and they are great! I have both the 110 's and the 70's. They are powerful and do a great job. They are easy to maintain and you can fit lots of media in them for good bacteria growth.

Guest kscoleman
With the plastic canvas box around it, there are no worries.

Lisa, what is a plastic canvas box? Do you have a picture?

Plastic canvas for crafts,like a plastic screen.You can fashion a box out of it to place around the intake :) I also use it to divide our betta tank.

I have an aquaclear and have never had a problem with it. I do keep a big plant by the intake.

I once even found one of my fish sleeping close to the intake, and she was fine. :exactly

Lisa, what is a plastic canvas box? Do you have a picture?

Here's a pic:

Canvas_Box.jpg

I used fishing line to 'sew' the 6 squares together to form a cube, cut a hole in the top and fit it over the intake. While most of my fry are now plenty big enough not to get sucked up, I do have 3 that are still teeny so I worry about them. :unsure:

Lisa

Guest kscoleman

Very clever Lisa. Thank you for sharing the picture. :)

Guest Jordyn

OK I have four gold fish. Two Lionhead, and two black morrs. I want to know what would be the best kind a fliter for my tank (which is a 30 gallon tank)

Shoot! As I mentioned I run two 110's on the big tank & like them so much I decided to get a 70 for my 30 gallon tank. My hubby surprised me with with an AQ for a gift........he got me another 110!! (You know men... bigger is better!) At first I was worried that it would be too much. I even thought I was going to have to decrease the flow with a sponge or something but well...the little guys are fine! And the tank is definitely clean!!

Aquaclears are GREAT!!