Moving Question

Well, I'm not looking forward to it, but I'm going to be moving, and I have to move my aquarium. While I have moved one before, by balas were still babies then. I should be alright, but they're a lot bigger and stronger now, so wish me luck w/ that.

My question is for anyone who has moved a catfish before... I have a 5" pictus cat w/ beautiful long barbels, and I have no clue how I'm gonna move him. I'd prolly never be able to catch him w/ my hand, and I know netting him isn't the best option. Anyone have any ideas?

I would remove all decorations and plants from the tank, then use a net and a container (such as a small tupperware container). Position the container in the tank in one hand, then use the net to direct him into the container with the other hand. When you get him in the container, hold the net in front to prevent his escape and try and quickly scoop him up. It will be better than a net since his barbels won't get caught in the net.

Good luck and please keep us posted on your move.

Haven't seen you in a while Justin. How are things?

Touch of Sky's advice is great, but to be a little more cautious, I'd substitute the regular net for a very fine, soft net, like one for brine shrimp (that pantyhose material). Even though you aren't using it to scoop up the fish, he still might get caught in it and freak. I've seen petstore employees try to use regular nets with pictuses. One got caught and tore off a couple barbells...then he was sent to the sick tank to die :( Just be careful!

Pics?? :D

How big is your tank and how big is your moving truck? I would say if possible, empty 3/4 of the water from the tank and then leave the fish in the water which is in the tank and then set the tank on a flat surface with the lid on so they cant jump out and then go about moving them that way. That is how I would do it, but that is just me. Good luck and let us know how you decide to move your fish!

Thanks for the tip touchofsky, that sounds perfect. My net is 8" across and has a big pocket, so maybe I will pick up another net like u suggested Kissy. I'm doing well, thanks :) I have missed being on here so much, but hey, with this move I'll have so much more free time again...

fish&bird, I had thought of that, but for my 72 gallon bowfront, the amount of water I would have to leave in for fish as big as mine would weigh too much to move, and even if I could lift it, it would crack the glass.

And no recent pics, my camera is on the fritz.