Bubble Eye Popping

Guest cher

Has anyone heard of an eye popping on a Bubble eye? Mine doesn't have a problem but my hubby asked what happens if it does...and I said, "I know who to ask....Koko's!!!" :blink:

I have had 3 Bubble eyes pop their eye,and luckily,all three are growing back.I think that I've finally come to the conclusion that Bubbles just aren't safe in anything but bare bottom tanks,so I am in the process of changing that for them. :) As with any injury,there's always a chance that secondary bacterial infections may occur,or that the popped bubble may not grow back to become the same size again as the other,but that's a really hard factor to determine, :)

Yes, Devs is right. The most important thing with keeping bubble eyes, is to be sure all filter intakes are covered so that a bubble cannot be sucked into the intake and that all surfaces in the tank are extremely smooth. Gravel must be very smooth and rounded as the bubble pop easily when the fish is rooting around for food. As Devs mentioned a bare bottom tank is probably the safest bet.

Bubble eyes need very good water quality, since they can develop infections in the bubble even when the bubble is intact. When a bubble does pop, it is important to maintain pristine water to help prevent secondary infections.

All of this being said, if you can provide a safe environment, with excellent water, I have found bubble eyes to be very hardy :)