Old Bio Wheel For New Tank?

Guest hoover

Guest hoover

OK, I finally got Goldie (fantail) a 10 gal tank. Put it together yesterday--gravel, decorations,rocks, plastic plant, and airstone. the question is: can I move the entire filter from her present (5 gal) tank, and put it directly into the brand new tank? If so, how does that affect the cycling? I'm thinking why not do it that way other than a new filter as the one that came with the new tank isn't a bio-wheel. And should I put some of the water from the 5 gal tank (good parameters as of today: nitrate 20, nitrite 0, ph 7.2, soft at <50, and alkalinity is 50-that's good isn't it?) into the new tank? And again, if I do that, how does that affect cycling?

the old bio wheel has been up and running for several years, having been used in a quarantine tank for new fish, and presently Goldie and snails preside there. The tank was cleaned very well on Sunday, with 50% new water.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Moving the filter intact to your new tank can, in some cases, instantly cycle your tank. I would also add some of the gravel from the existing tank, if that is possible. Adding water from the existing tank doesn't really help with the cycling, but it can help if you have a difference in ph between aged tank water and fresh tap water.

Check the ph in your tap water to make sure it is close to your existing tank. Adding 1/2 water from the existing tank and 1/2 new water will generally help with any differences in ph.

Once you add your fish to your new tank, keep a close eye on your water parameters.

Guest hoover

cool! I'm sure she'll be much happier in the new tank, and not having to go through cycling could make things a lot easier. I'll keep close tabs on water quality. thanks.

Moving the filter intact to your new tank can, in some cases, instantly cycle your tank. I would also add some of the gravel from the existing tank, if that is possible. Adding water from the existing tank doesn't really help with the cycling, but it can help if you have a difference in ph between aged tank water and fresh tap water.

Check the ph in your tap water to make sure it is close to your existing tank. Adding 1/2 water from the existing tank and 1/2 new water will generally help with any differences in ph.

Yes, it's true about using an old filter can increase the cycle of your new tank.

Just make sure that the old filter is fit for the new tank, i.e. how many gallons of water does your old filter cycle within a certain period of time?

Make sure that the 5g filter is 'strong' enough for the 10g .. otherwise, you'll end up with a poorly cycled tank with dirty water & what-not.

I had this problem (with a weak filter) & caused high Nitrite level.