Sammy Dying?

ktinal900

I've had Sammy for about three years and today he suddenly isn't doing very well :( Usually he eats with gusto but today he ignored the food and now he's acting weird. He's darting about the tank like he's agitated, and he swims up and then drops down like a weight. He lies down on his side then gets up and darts about, drops back down... and the cycle goes on. I tested the water, water params are fine (ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5, ph 7.2). He's in a five gallon planted tank, Prime water conditioner, water changes every few days. :cry1 Anyone know what might be wrong?? I love this little guy so much :cry1

It is so painful watching him. I feel so useless, I don't know what to do! The poor little guy, now he keeps diving headfirst into the gravel, then lying on his side. :cry He was fine yesterday. I've been having so many problems with my fish these past few months (after many many years problem free), I am getting discouraged, especially since I'm always doing regular maintenance and still, something terrible always happens! :( Maybe I should just stick to dogs :cry

I had a similar problem awhile back.

I had 2 goldfish in a 5g .. which is considered way too small, but I'm real good at doing regular maintenance.

Do you have a separate tank?

If I were you, I'd try to separate him & see whether he's doing better.

Do you have the water params from .. let's say last week or something?

Are the water params you stated in your post after or before you do any water changes?

I had a very simalar problem with my elderly betta Zeke who was 3plus years old. He even changed colors and I thought he was dying and had much the same sypmtoms as yours. I put salt in his tank, got him a heater and put him on bettafix and he improved and did great . I don't know if he was just sick or it was old age. Whatever the case I had to keep him continually on bettafix, use the heater and the salt the whole time I had him. Another member has him now and he is doing great. He keeps him on the three things I mentioned. I think when Bettas get old the must be more suseptible to illness and living conditions. try adding some heat and the bettafix and see if it helps.

Anyone know what might've caused this? Just wondering, as I still have a couple of little guys and some girls and I hope I can prevent it from happening in the future. Sammy's water was heated and it did have a little bit of salt... how many of you add salt to your bettas water? I don't usually... it's just that it seemed to help Sammy when he got older... he was the only one who had salt added :(

I keep a small amount of salt in my bettas water. You said Sammy was 3 years old. It could have been just from old age then. Some bettas live longer than others.3 years is pretty good for a betta

Archived