Dark Spot On Gf Fin

Guest Marita

Guest Marita

I have a 29 gal tank - water testing are all good; nitrate is slightly elevated; tank has been running for approximately one month (I did the "fishless cycle" for about 3 weeks before adding fish). The 2 goldfish (approx. 3 inches) were in a 10 gal tank for about 2 months prior - and did great. After moving them to larger tank (when water was safe), I made the big mistake of adding 4 nnnnnn Calico Fantails without placing them in hospital tank first. I am new at fishkeeping - just an explanation, not an excuse.

Within 3 weeks, I lost 3 of the Calicos - one is left and appears just fine. So is one of my regular GF. It is the second goldfish (Billy) that has me all worried.

A couple of wks ago, he started to have clamped fins, hardly swam or ate. I called vvvv - and they recommended "Fungus Clear". I used that treatment - and he improved. He is now swimming around, eating normal, acting normal again. However, two days ago I discovered a small dark red or dark spot on his gill. I has grown larger now - and I don't know what it could be.

I may be over-reacting, but it seems there is another tiny spot (visible with magnifying glass) on same gill as well as the other side on gill. Really barely visible. Also, on his tail fin, he has a small - less than 1/4 inch dark streek. Finally, it seems like his poops has been kind of stringy & pale - don't know if this is still the case, since I haven't been able to see it for a couple of days.

Anyway, if there is any additional information you need, I'll be glad to let you know.

Oh, I am feeding Wardley Goldfish Flakes, sometimes Baby Shrimp and Bloodworms, freezdried.

I have only used bottled springwater which I treat with AQUASAFE by Tetra, Stress Coat by API and CYCLE to reduce fish loss by Nutrafin. I had our well-water tested today, and they told me it was just fine to use instead of springwater. So, I am thinking about slowly switching the water with each water change.

Please help me identify the problem with my goldfish.

Thank You. Marita

Marita I am sorry no one has posted yet.

Can you give us the params of the water? Exact numbers are needed to make sure "tweaking" them would help.

The spot on the gills are they white or black?

Before switching waters it may be a good idea to test the tap water and post those numbers, including the ph. If they are very different you will need to slowly acustom them to the new water.