Hello, Mr. Testosterone!

SnBMeg

So I've had my Oranda since late summer/early autumn of last year, and after I had had him for a few months he started exhibiting breeding behavior and eventually got some breeding tubercules/stars on his pectoral fins (none on his head, since he's got a full-face wen--I posted a topic about that not too long ago.) Then suddenly a couple of weeks ago, it seems like the hormones kicked in and in the span of a couple of days the stars grew!

The stars are now so large and bright that even from a few feet away they're visible as a streak of white along the front edge of his otherwise dusky pectoral fins. (Fyi, he also now has one star on his right gill cover.)

Before he just had a discreet little sprinkle, but now his pectorals look like the rim of a margarita glass! XD

Coincidentally, when his stars began growing, so did his wen. It's remained fairly small and compact, aside from making his cheeks puffy, but now the top part is at least a couple of millimeters taller already than it was a couple of weeks ago. I wonder if wen growth in goldfish is at least partly connected to hormones?

Jeeze, it's like he's going through fishy puberty and suddenly getting hair on his chest! :rofl

It is that time of year.

Spring is in the air.

:)

I hadn't even thought of that! XD You're right!

I was taking some pictures yesterday, and got a fairly decent one of his big shinies. He's getting more stars on his head, too. One on top and one on the left cheek.

2007-03-1302-53-41_0003.jpg

Come to think of it, this will be the first spring/summer that I've had either of my males. :3

Wow he's beautiful! I'd love to see more photo's of him. :heart

Thanks! I think I'm a bit overdue for posting photos of all my goldfish. --I think the last time I did was back just after I got this guy. >o< I've got a whole bunch, but I need to sort through them all and find some good ones!

He looks great... nice deep body

Thanks! When I got him he actually had a more long-ish body type (which wasn't my preference (I hearts the really compact goldies) but it's so rare to find blues around where I live that I wasn't going to pass up on the chance to nab one!), but as he's grown, he's gotten shorter and is developing a nicely arched back. I'm hoping that the trend will continue and he'll end up as a nicely rounded chunk of a goldfish. :3

Do you have a girl for him?

He's a real looker.

Heheh, I actually have a female blue/chocolate Moor in the same tank as him (and a female albino Moor, but she's going to be moving out in not to long.) It would be so neat to have little blue/choco fry! X3 (Especially if some of them ended up with telescope eyes!) The Moor is just now reaching breeding maturity--it's actually only within the past week that I've been seeing breeding behavior directed at her--so who knows? Maybe this summer I'll get some spawnings and can try my hand at raising fry! :D

He is a beautiful fish!! And bless his dark color - one of the few fish colors, besides the black moor, where you can see breeding tubercles this easily.

He is a darling! :heart

He is a beautiful fish!! And bless his dark color - one of the few fish colors, besides the black moor, where you can see breeding tubercles this easily.

He is a darling! :heart

I was so lucky to get him! I think there have only been two times ever that I've seen blues in my area. Thank you!

Ooh! I hope my blue oranda turns out as gorgeous as yours! :)

Thanks! :D

Hello! TFR9C.gif

Oh! :blink:

You were talking about your fish...

...hehe :unsure:TFR1F.gif

He's very handsome BTW. TFR2G.gif

:rofl Thanks!

Yowsers! Very pretty boy!

How on earth do you guys get such great photos of your fish? :blink: Mine soooooooo suck!

Thanks! :)

My fish photo experience has been to experiment with the settings on my camera and take lots and lots and lots of pictures. Out of any given batch of photos, I usually end up deleting 1/4-1/3+ of them off the bat (out of focus, fish moved and is blurry, flash obscures fish, etc.), and of the remainder only about 1/2 are what I would consider "posting quality."

So in a set of 10 pics, I'll end up with around 6-7 that are worth keeping, and maybe 2-3 of those that I might post here.

The keys, I've found, are simply practicepracticepractice and patience. ^^

Edited by SnBMeg