Eggs !

Trinket

:( I'm always so afraid to add salt to such a small fish Imo,so honestly it's up to you.If you feel that you're going to lose him either way,then maybe it's worth trying? :idont

I just want to tell you that if you talk to any of us,myself,JenW,Carol(Daryl),etc. We can all share the same story,and tell you how we seemed to have lost our biggest healthiest frys at around a month old.

I have no clear idea as to why it happens,but we all shared similar experiences with that.One minute they were chubby/swimming around normal,the next gone.

In your case,if this does happen,then it's an even bigger devastation,because Houdini is your only fry. :cry1

Forgive me on the Nitrates Imo,but does that mean the reading is anywhere between 10 and 50? :unsure: No sleep,maybe it's me. If that is the case,it could maybe be the nitrates affecting him?

Oh man,Imo,I really hope he makes it. :heart

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:hug Thanks so much Devs, I just really appreciate your advice at this moment.

I won't add salt.

The low range/normal nitrate kit reads 10- I think thats probable because since the eggs I have cut back on feeding the 3 (very small)fish in this 30 gallon and the nitrates would have gone down. Also I did a water change this afternoon. Theres a lot of green algae and plants in the tank.

Honestly I cannot work out my high range test card. the closest pink looks 40/50 ..but the low range reads 10.

My biggest best fry. This is so sad. Exactly as you said he was sooo active and perky. Trill to his tail, ate like apig. I cannot understand. This looks like it could be sbd. Maybe he overate last night. Maybe I gave him too much. It is hard feeding one tiny fry the exact perfect ammount.

I will have to wait and see. He is alive but upside down perched on a moss ball.

Sorry you've had no sleep. You are an angel to help.

:( I just feel so bad Imo as I've been there and know exactly how you're feeling,and it makes me just want to cry. I actually wondered if mine died from overeating too at some point.How do you go from perfectly fine to this?I know it was making me crazy as I was keeping the params perfect.

WHen in any doubt,no matter what the tests read,I always end up doing a water change,because I feel so helpless seeing a healthy fry having a problem with no obvious reason as to why.

Well,the outcome certainly doesn't sound too good,but believe me when I say that I am really crossing fingers for Houdini to be okay. :heart

HAng in there Hun. :hug

Thanks for asking Anette. As you know things are not good here in the breeder box. I don't have much hope

for Houdini but am going to do another very slow and gentle water change because it can only help. Will post back later.

:( Imogen, I am so sorry you loss Houdini! :cry1 He was such a beautiful, healthy looking baby! You took such good care of him, something must have been really wrong for him to go that fast. I hope your OK and warm thoughts coming your way. :heart

Thankyou Lola. Your kind words always hit the spot :heart .

I think I knew this morning it was his last day :cry1 . It is painful getting so far and then losing all.

He was a very special little fry :heart

Only 8 eggs and i thought I'd get 8 fry! was I ever wrong :(

I do not have fry experience Imogen, but I love gaining knowledge through the fry threads here and one thing I have learned is that their survival is very unpredictable. They are so fragile and small and I truly believe that the slightest little thing can take them. :cry1

You did such a god job with raising the fry you had, but sometimes no matter how hard we try, nature takes over for us. I hope you do not give up your attemps at raising the beautiful babies that we know you are capable of raising. :heart

:o Oh no... I can't believe it.. Oh Imogen, I'm so very sorry you lost Houdini so quickly. It is very sad news indeed, but you did your very very best for all the fry. They seem so sensitive and it must be quite a learning curve, but you've done wonderfully and you'll always remember little Houdini :heart Edited by mrbumblebee

Sharon, thankyou so much for everything- he was a very special little fella. Intelligent one I thought.

Lola- I will try again. I hope you are right and I can do this one day. Perhaps there will be atime when you will want to as well :) I think it must be an incredible feeling of accomplishment to raise these fragile little grey threads to robust 5 inch goldfish. So rewarding. I am in awe of people who manage it!

mrbumblebee, bless you and thank you for your comments always. I have a hunch you may be a breeder sooner than you think.. :)

The next time I get eggs I shall save as many as i can possibly find for maximum chance of afew fry survivors. I shall find a better breederbox or have a cycled fry tank ready, do the daily water changes as I had been doing, I won't move the fry till they are a month old and I will invest in a UV steriliser :exactly

Oh, Imogen, I am so very sorry you lost Houdini. :cry1 He was such a sweetheart, I know your heart must be aching badly.

As has been mentioned, all of us have lost some of our biggest, healthiest fry around the month mark. It makes no sense. I can only believe that whatever non-visible physical ailment they may have had begins to affect them by that age? If that's the case, there was truly nothing you could have done. I know that doesn't help at all, but please believe that I don't think YOU did a single thing wrong. You took excellent care of Houdini and he was one lucky fry to have had you taking care of him.

{{{HUGS}}}

Lisa