Sign in to follow this  
jamisskat

Shubunkins Are Ready To Spawn

hi all, my shubunkins and comets are spawning in my pond. my males have their breeding stars and chassing the females. the male is also rolling the female around all my lillies. should i leave the eggs in there and let mother nature take action? i have plenty of plants and was wondering should the babies be safe? will the fry if i choose to leave them have plenty to eat? update on oranda fry... they will be 2 weeks old monday :heart i will have pixs for you guys next week! thanks guys for all the help :exactly

Well if you are planning on saving at least a few, i wouldn't chance it. If you don't want a huge number of fry, just take a few plants with eggs out and put them in a separate tank or whatever. I know you are raising oranda fry, so you know what to do. so if you don't really care for having more, let nature take its course, but if you do want to keep some, take a few out.

I have never had fry myself, but i know people that do, and most if not all get eaten. But you could leave like half the eggs in there and see if any make it. But i would at least save a few. You can never have too many goldfish. :]

Edited by ~^~Jenny~^~

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live? Because its way too cold around here for goldfish to even think about spawning. Its so cold here in the fall and winter i don't think i would ever have a outdoor pond with fish in it year round.

Edited by ~^~Jenny~^~

hey jen, i live in florida. its been in the upper 80's here for 2 weeks now. acording to the news where all done with the cold weather. i think because since they were in the pond over a year and cuz of the warm weather were having its causing them to spawn. no eggs yet but my gosh they wont leave the poor lill female alone (LOL) it started this morning with the chassing and rough behavior. i have a feeling their going to lay eggs in my cattails cuz he's hudging her into the root bed of it.

congrats on the new additions! I have comets and shunbunks too, they have shown every sign of spawning but I've never seen the eggs. Lucky you! I hope to hear you have babies soon

thanks chris! i'll for sure keep you guys posted :) i see your new to the forum :welcome ive had my shubunkins for yrs now and this is the first time they have have showed luv for each other(LOL) so ya im waiting like a mother to be!

thanks chris! i'll for sure keep you guys posted :) i see your new to the forum :welcome ive had my shubunkins for yrs now and this is the first time they have have showed luv for each other(LOL) so ya im waiting like a mother to be!

:D thanks for the warm welcome to the site!!

no problem! everyone here seems really nice and the info they give is very helpful. where do u live chris? im in fla.

Lucky you Jewels! I would LOVE to live in florida! My fiance's sister is actually moving down there in April :] I wish she would take us with her. lol. Congrats on being a mommy to lots of little fish soon. And yes, you MUST keep us updates, and LOTS of pictures! Everyone here LOVES pictures!

Also Do you only have one girl fish in the tank? If so is it possible for more than one kind of fish to be the daddy? Just wondering. lol

Lucky you Jewels! I would LOVE to live in florida! My fiance's sister is actually moving down there in April :] I wish she would take us with her. lol. Congrats on being a mommy to lots of little fish soon. And yes, you MUST keep us updates, and LOTS of pictures! Everyone here LOVES pictures!

Also Do you only have one girl fish in the tank? If so is it possible for more than one kind of fish to be the daddy? Just wondering. lol

hey jen, i have atleast 3 females and the rest males. im not sure which one is the father of my oranda fry. i now know maybe its not the lion head cuz the babies have little cute dorsal fins now :heart so its between the other 2 which are very nice looking fish! as far as the pond goes, well.. theres alot of males in it. my comet is the one showing the nice looking breeding stars and doing the chassing. also, yes i think its possible for more than one daddy.(i think) i had 3 males chassing the oranda the day she spawned. Edited by jewels

Oh wow! there can be more than one daddy!!! thats amazing! And i NEED to see pics of your little oranda fry!

So how many male goldfish should be in a pond/tank per famale fish. Because i now with my tropical fish i need to have at least 2 females per every male. Is it the same with goldfish?

And what are you going to do with so many fry!!!>>???

Ha, when i eventually get fry, i will wait till they are old enough and sell them to my friends that anger me, and give them away to my friends that do not anger me as much. lmfao.