Rubbermaids

So i'm thinking of buying a rubbermaid to use as a tank but i have a few questions first, i may not have anything to sit it on, except the floor, but i'm kinda nervous about putting fish on the ground, and also, i've been shoppign around looking for clear ones, but some i've found are like frosted, and i'm wondering does anyone use a clear one? ok LAST question, how do i convince my mum it's suitable as a tank, cause i know what she'll say 'you can't keep fish in those blah blah blah'

There shoudn't be a problem with leaving a tank on the floor, as long as you make sure it isn't somewhere it will get jostled or kicked, isn't too close to a heating or cooling vent, and you don't have any nosy cats or dogs around.

I'd also make sure you have some sort of cover or make sure it's located somewhere that nothing will be accidentally spilled in it (I say, still cursing my party guest who used my aquarium hood as a place to set a drink...)

Using a rubbermaid tub isn't any different than the containers used to set up small ponds or water gardens on a patio - sturdy plastic that can hold water and be set up with the right filtration. Make sure it can really support the water though, I have a generic one I picked up for emergency use very cheap, and I wouldn't trust it for more than a day or two, because the plastic isn't strong enough to support the water and the sides bow out. The Rubbermaids are pretty tried and true for that.

If you're using it long term, you can even select goldfish meant for ponds that look good viewed from above. Some nervous fish will even like it a little better, even, than a glass aquarium because they aren't as exposed on every side and feel more protected.

That help? ;)

To stop the bowing get those "bungee cords" (I think that's what they are called) Anyway they sell them at most Dollar Stores in packs of 3 or 4! I think people use them alot to strap things on the back of bikes & stuff.) They are elastic with a hook on each end. I used 2 on my Rubbermaid tanks. They absolutely stop the bowing & really strengthen the tubs! :bingo:

so i purchased the rubbermaid, and after the initial 'those things can't hold fish!, you better not spil water everywhere, are you sure? you have hardly any room in your bedroom as it is! blake i'm sick of you and fish' from my mum, i think she's kinda ok with it, i filled it up and i've added some cycle booster (makes it cycle faster) and i set up the filtration so everything green to go!

Guest Kiki Lola

Sorry for the ignoramus mode here, but what is a rubbermaid? I've heard these mentioned and have gotten the gist that they're giant tubs, but are they a specific brand? What do they look like and where do you get them?

Taaa

post-11132-1173336672_thumb.jpgIt's a large plastic storage bin, you can usually find them in department stores. Rubbermaid IS the brand, but has become the catch-all term for the storage bins, no matter what brand. They are rectangular, have snap on lids...

I have two Rubbermaid tubs running right now. They work wonderful as tanks and filters hang off their sides really well. I ran two bungie cords across them to prevent bowing and that works great. The only thing I do not like about mine is the biggest one is not clear but its blue. I wanted a 50 gal tub and could not find it in clear. So, I'm still looking and if I find it in the clear, and they are frosted to a degree, I will change them around. But I know myself, and will probably still use the blue tub as well.

Mine are on the floor and there hasn't been any problems with that, well except for "Arwen" our Weimaraner, staring at the fish and getting the occasional drink, which I'm trying to teach her not too, but I think she believes it to be flavored water. :(

For lighting, I use those clip on lights that are ofter used in the garage, but point them off to the side as they produce more heat then regular tank lights.

Guest Kiki Lola

Oh I seeeee. :) Makes much more sense now. I was thinking they were some kind of "official" plastic tank! Wow that's a good temp storage space and cheap too! Trouble is, my filter is built into my tank, and I only have a 1 gallon external filter :( More money! lol

I keep my turtle in a huge rubbermaid. He's been through 2 (he's rough on them :blink: ) but they are so cheap that I don't mind buying a new one every couple of years. For lighting on mine I use a clip on reptile lamp, you can put normal light bulbs in them too. I also got a large sheet of plexiglass cut to lay on the top, it keeps the heat in and other pets (ie my cat) out! :)

Chrissy

I like to take a couple of 2 X 4s and set them under the tub. Laying a board on the 2 X 4s will make a solid surface for the tub. This will raise the tub up by about 4 inches or so, allowing there to be air under the tub - something that is really nice - it allows for any condensation of water that is spilled and wicked under thet tub to dry completely. (I am a messy water changer) I HATE the idea of moldy or ruined floors because of water.

Raising the tub by just a few inches will also help in water changes. I like to syphon my tubs/tanks to get the yuck off the bottom. If the tub is raised, you can use a gravity fed syphon. On the floor, it will not run.

I like to take a couple of 2 X 4s and set them under the tub. Laying a board on the 2 X 4s will make a solid surface for the tub. This will raise the tub up by about 4 inches or so, allowing there to be air under the tub - something that is really nice - it allows for any condensation of water that is spilled and wicked under thet tub to dry completely. (I am a messy water changer) I HATE the idea of moldy or ruined floors because of water.

Raising the tub by just a few inches will also help in water changes. I like to syphon my tubs/tanks to get the yuck off the bottom. If the tub is raised, you can use a gravity fed syphon. On the floor, it will not run.

thanks for the great idea daryl!, next time i'm out in the shed i'll look for some bits of wood to put under there, my bedroom floor is tile so i don't have to worry about mould too much - but i'll still put the wood under