Sign in to follow this  
jamisskat

Feeding Fry At Night

hey all! my fry are use to eating all day. i feed them enough to last during the day and do a clean up at night. water conditions are great. the only problem is their acting hungry at night. last night i fed them for the 1st time at night. is it normal for them to be hungry at night? and is it ok to leave food in there over night? i weaned them off the egg yolk an now their thriving very well on powdered goldfish flake. they are so cute when they eat. they can be at one end of the tank and as soon as i drop it in their on their little way! ps.. i feel like im starving the little things if i dont leave them some food at night.

Edited by jewels

Mine are hungry all the time too. I do shift work so often feed them at 10pm before I leave for work and the nights I'm home I feed them before I go to bed. I have never had a problem with left over food overnight so far. As long as you don't put too much in there it should be fine.

Mine are always hungry, just like big goldfish, lol!

Now, my method may get frowned upon, but so far it's been working well (knock on wood). I feed my fry 4 - 5 times a day, cleaning up whatever food may be leftover on the bottom about an hour before the next feeding. The last feeding is usually around 11p.m. and when I get up at 7 a.m., there is sometimes a little bit still on the bottom. (I tend to overfeed a tetch.)

It may not be a good idea to have food available for them all the time like that, but it seems to be working out okay. Cleaning umpteen times a day is a pain, but it keeps my water pristine and my fry seem fat and happy. I think it's my fear of more cannibalism that causes me to be little obsessive about wanting them to always have something to eat so they don't eat each other.

Lisa

thanks guys! i'll just keep up my routine and keep up on cleaning. i just dont dont want them to be hungry. if they start to eat each other i'll :cry1 so far their the same size and growing pretty much the same rate. i do have one thats a little bigger than the others. their all little pigs! :heart

I am WAY too lazy to do that..... I feed at 7 am when I feed the rest of the crew. They get fed about every 3-4 hours through the day (depending on age), with the last feeding at about 7 pm. Then the lights are turned out and the fish sleep. I clean the tank sometime late afternoon, once a day. I rarely have any food left - just little "poo worms". The older fry seem to get really loooooooong ponderous hanging poos if I feed them too often, so they are down to just 3 meals a day.

I vacumn up the poo worms and feed again. They snarf it all up. They are all growing well, as long as they are not overcrowded.

:)

LOL, Daryl! The last thing I think anyone could accuse you of is being lazy. :rofl

Lisa

LOL! I agree Daryl is awsome when it comes to our fishy family :)

I wanted to add that I do not need to vacume/clean left over food for the fry as the method I use means it all goes in the tank

I raise mine in nets in the main tank....so its a bit different.

just wanted to clarify that point,

Hi LMF :) I think I am doing the same way as you with my eggs/fry. the breeder box is in the main tank so I hope I dont have to vacuum their space after eating. Do you find the 'poo worms' (thanks daryl) are able to escape through the net then into the main tank? Mine just hatched today so i havn't fed them yet..