What Is Causing My Fin Rot?

Carole

* Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 15 (after a 50% water change)

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7

Ph Level out of the Tap? 7

* Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 20 gal, 1.5 years

* What is the name and size of the filter/s? Aquaclear 50 (brand new a few months ago)

* How often do you change the water and how much? Every 2 weeks, 50%

# How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fish, 3.5 and 4.5 inches, including tails

# What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

# Any medications added to the tank? No

# Add any new fish to the tank? No

# What do you feed your fish? Goldfish Crisps, Omega One, and peas or broccoli

# Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Frayed Fins

# Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc..? No

Last night I noticed a little bit of fraying on both of my fishes fins, so today I did a big water change thinking maybe my water params were not too good (I don't always check them with water changes). But when I checked the params today they seemed fine. What could be causing the fin rot if not bad water? My one fish had a bacterial infection about a month ago that cleared up with medicated food.

Also, my fin rot is very mild right now and I want to clear it up quickly (my fish have such pretty fins). I understand salt is good for healing fin rot; what concentration would I want to use? Is there anything else I can do? I will do another big water change in a few days if it helps but I am not sure it will if my water is already fine.

Any input or advice would be appreciated.

:) Hi Carole.Although you tested your water params today and they seemed fine,it only takes a minute to change.You may be spiking on Ammonia/Nitrites in between water changes and not even realizing it ,because you test later and number's seem to be okay.

I'd also recommend you into getting into the habit of doing weekly water changes. It's much healthier for the fish ,especially as they grow and produce more ammonia and waste,and the more frequent water changes may keep their fins in better shape.Do you salt your tank by chance?

* Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 15 (after a 50% water change)

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7

Ph Level out of the Tap? 7

* Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 20 gal, 1.5 years

* What is the name and size of the filter/s? Aquaclear 50 (brand new a few months ago)

* How often do you change the water and how much? Every 2 weeks, 50%

# How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fish, 3.5 and 4.5 inches, including tails

# What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

# Any medications added to the tank? No

# Add any new fish to the tank? No

# What do you feed your fish? Goldfish Crisps, Omega One, and peas or broccoli

# Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Frayed Fins, Bubble like thing on tail!!!

# Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc..? No

I just posted in the Disease section about some new fin rot I noticed (http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=57729), but now I noticed something really disturbing.

My one fish has a bubble like growth on her tail right next to some of her fin rot. It is yellowish-orange in color and about .25 in across. It is located right in between the top her fantail near her body (but not attached to her body) sort of attached to both tails. Her tail around the area is sort of yellowing also.

What in the world could it be? The fish is acting completely normal and the other fish is not showing the same thing but does have a little fin rot also.

What is it? How do I make it go away? Help!

I don't ever salt the tank.

I just noticed a bizarre bubble like structure on one of my fishie's tail and now I am really freaked out. I just started a new topic in the 911 section. I don't know what is going on!!

Has anyone ever seen this before? Does anyone have any ideas on how to help even if they haven't seen it? I can not find any similar descriptions of this on the internet.

The bubble looks like the those that are on bubble-eye goldfish, but this bubble is on the tail and is not supposed to be there.

Please Help!

Carole, I know that you are scared, but we need to keep all information in one thread.

I merged your 2 together so we don't get confused.

Is the fish acting ok other than this or is he dying?

I agree with Sharon about the water changes. You may notice a difference in the fish when you start doing them.

Also can you get a picture of this blister?

How long have you been treating the finrot and with what?

Try and calm down, we can help you get things worked out. But we are not here 24/7, but will help when we can.

Sorry I came off a little crazy, this is just the weirdest thing I have ever seen. The fish is acting perfectly normal which adds to my confusion.

I will get a picture as soon as I can. I just noticed the fin rot on Saturday and have not added anything to the tank to try to treat it, but I did do a big water change. I was going to go to the LPS today and get some salt and some Maracyn 1&2 as that seems to be what is recomeneded in other places for fin rot. Can I use all three things together? How much salt should I add?

To be honest I don't jump on treating with the meds early on.

Depending on if it is truly finrot or just some splitting fins would depend on whether or not to use the medication.

Can you describe the splitting of the fins more accurately? The picture really helps in these cases, so we can see what is actually happening.

I would be inclined (again without seeing a picture) to start off with a salt concentration of 0.1% for a few days. See if that helps a bit, if it does then not going ahead with meds and continuing the salt treatment for a week or so.

Many times splitting fins can be caused by fighting, breeding behavior, bad water conditions in past, parasites, etc.....each of which treatment can be different. So I think it would be a good idea to narrow down and see what is causing the problem before assuming it is finrot.

While I'm far from an expert on the circumstances, take laurie's advice here. When I was overeager to stop a fraying fin on a fish, I treated the entire tank with antibiotics, effectively destroying my cycle.

The re-cycling tank isnt very good to have going on with a fish with a preexisting condition. What my fish was suffering from wasn't even bacterial (or at least not primarily bacterial)

So be careful. Try the salt.

I think I have successfully gotten 2 pictures of the blister:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/album?c=c_a_ho...3129499&.src=ph

The blister and visible fin rot is pointed out with arrows. The blister is seen through the fin as it is tucked between the two tail fins. The fin rot appears very mild, the edges are a little jagged with the worst spot at the bottom tip of the tail fin where it has forked a little (should be visible in the picture). Both fish have slightly jagged edges on their tail fins, but not on any other fins. You might be able to see in the picture that the blister is located near (seems attached to) a jagged edge on that part of the tail.

I will wait for more information before I medicate and will just add some salt. These fish never fight, however they have been playing in the output of the power filter which may have caused them to collide with something. I don't think that is what caused this though because of the bizarre location on the blister.

Thanks Hlusak, I wasn't sure the yahoo pictures was going to work. If the blister is still hard to see I will try to take better pictures.

I purchased some aquarium salt and will add it to the tank to get .1%. I have a 20 gal tank, so how much salt do I need to get .1%?

Yes that amount of salt should take you to 0.1%.

(thanks for getting the pics larger!)

From what I see, I don't see finrot. Just a jagged piece and a split, correct?

This should heal with the salt if it is just a tear, however you will have to keep a look out for what they could be tearing it on, or if they are having a parasite issue.

Have you had a parasite issue before?

I can't see the blister in the photos, is it clear or white and waxy looking?

The blister is pale orange in color. In the second picture the arrow at the top pointed down is pointed at it. You have to look through the tail sort of to see the size and shape. It is very spherical and bubble like. In the first picture (with only one arrow) you can seed the blister between the fan tails near the body.

I may of had a parasite issue this past summer when I added the orange and white fish for the first time. The fishes were acting strange and darting around. Some all in one medication fixed the issue.

I wasn't sure it was fin rot at first but I thought I was starting to see white spots on the edges of their fins. Whatever happened happened to both of them. They both have sort of jagged looking edges on their tails. I know it is hard to see in the pictures because most of the spots are very small. The orange fish has one spot where it lookes like there is a small whole wearing through near the edge of it's tail.

I wasn't so alarmed by the idea of a slightly torn fin or mild fin rot but the blister/bubble thing still has me guessing.

there has been no changes in the fishes behavior or the severity of the blister.

Also, should I have removed the carbon from my filter before adding salt?

Thanks for all of the help so far.

Carole, what med did you use that took care of the problem of parasites? And how are you sure it completely got rid of them?

To answer your carbon question, I don't run carbon in my filters unless it is to remove a med and when that is done the carbon gets removed.

Many members do this and don't run their filters with carbon in them. Basically all carbon does is removes medication from the water. Once it is full it doesn't work anymore.

But it doesn't remove salt, only water changes remove salt. Also salt doesn't evaporate.

I am still inclined to doubt full finrot at this point. I suspect something else is going on to cause the fin issues.

To get rid of the possible parasites I used "Lifeguard All-in-One" by JungleLabs. I followed the instructions with that medication and my fish started acting normally again so I assumed the parasites (or whatever it was) were gone.

Here is that medicine: http://www.junglelabs.com/pages/details.asp?item=TT102

How can I find out if I still have a parasite problem? Would it be left over from the summer?

Were you able to see the blister in the pictures?

I am not having any luck researching that medication to see what it actually does. (looking up the active ingredients).

I am not recognizing any med that I am aware of that treats parasites, however that doesn't mean that doesn't do it. But often parasites can be immune to certain meds. For instance Flukes, those are pretty tough to kill and as far as I know Prazi is one of the best to eraticate it.

Are the fish having any other symptoms..........?

Any flashing about, yawning, clamped fins, head standing, spitting out food?

Sorry I cannot see the blister clearly, I guess to really see it you have to know what you are looking for. (hard to do over the computer).

If the fish are acting good and not having any other symptoms I would go with the salt treatment for a week or so and see if it starts healing it. Salt is also a good parasite killer (although again not flukes).

If at the end of 7-10 days you aren't seeing a difference or it is getting worse then try another treatment.

The bigger fish (with out the blister) has always yawned occasionally, sleeps a lot, and sometimes sucks at the surface (which is weird because I have 2 airstones and an airwand providing O2). The blistered fish does not do these things and never has. No clamped fins. They are acting as normal as they always have.

I will watch them and see if they get better. Can parasites cause blisters on fish?

One of my older fry had something similar but it was red. After treating with a 1/2 dose of bacterial meds (which resolved the infection but left behind the lump) I dabbed it with hydrogen peroxide just once. I dried his fin with a chux cloth first and then dabbed the area well and placed him back in the tank. 2 days later it was gone :)

It could be some form of surface bacteria that's causing the problem so a topical treatment may be all he/she needs.

For those who could not see the blister in the photos, I made an identical picture but with the blister circled. Circling in made it impossible to see, however if you compare this picture to the one above you should be able to find it.

I got lucky as this is now my 101th post!

Unless caused by tearing or trauma (resulting in blisters), things like this tend to be bacterial in nature but whether that bacteria is primary or secondary to parasites - only a scrape or obvious signs of parasitism can tell us that.

If you find the spot gets worse, then you could dab once with hydrogen peroxide (mentioned previous post) as it has a broad-spectrum efficacy against bacteria - including bacterial spores, which may try to enter via the wound :)

I'm pleased they seem to be disappearing :)