Guppies

Carmel

Hello I recently got some male guppies. :newfish I have 5 and they are in a 5 gallon tank with heater, filter, and some bubbles. I am feeding them hikari micropellets for tropical fish.

I am trying to learn how to take care of them so please give me some advice! :D

The first and most important thing is you can not add any more fish to the tank becuase you are already over stocked. The rule that most people follow is one inch for each gallon. Also if you dont want babies then dont add females becuase they breed like rabbits. You should feed them flakes every now and then as well. They need their water to be around 82*. Some other members can put in more detail when they read.

Thanks!

oh really?! I didnt know i was overstocked. the tank is already cycled so hopefully that would help..

can they stay with goldfish if i put them in with my 2 goldies in a 30 galloln tank?

They might get eaten. Plus, goldfish are coldwater fish and guppies are tropicals, so they need warmer water. Some people have done it though.

I have two fancy guppies, about an inch and a half each, a Rasbora, about an inch, and a Least Killifish who's about a half-inch (and full grown)

That's 4 1/2 inches of fish in a 5 gallon. But, I also have an empty 2.5 gallon set-up and running, just in case there's a problem with the 5 gallon and I need to move a fish or two out. I also have a divider to use in the bin with the goldfish.

I've got back-up :) Always a good thing considering I have a male and a female guppy :lol:

it isn't a good idea to mix cold water fish and tropicals but alot of people here have put tetras in with their goldfish, plus goldies get so large they do look at guppies as a quick snack. but i wouldn't worry about mixing goldfish and guppies right now just worry about keeping the 5 gallon tank in good shape.

Oh I forgot the temperature differences. Yeah, I don't think I want to take the risk of them getting eaten.

Is there any care I should take with guppies that I should know about??

How big do they get and how long do they live?

From what I have read, guppies can live 2 to maybe 3 years. A female guppy can get to about 2 inches, the males are usually smaller. My original female guppy, Thelma, is just under 2 inches long now. She is about 9 months old, but I can't remember for certain when I bought her.

Another problem with keeping guppies with other fish is they can eat slime coats, I had two guppies reallly harrass some mollies in that way.

As for keeping guppies, they are great once they get settled in. Mine enjoy bloodworms every now and then, and they love having plants to play in. Overall, they're really fun and easy to keep. Good luck!

Chrissy

Males may be as long as females but they are alot more slender than a female, especialy a pregnant female. Although some of my males are pretty robust, more so than their father. Maybe I feed them too much.

I have had guppies for a while but lost them when I had that ice storm and knocked out my power for 5 days. They are very colorful and will harass the other fish becuase I also had some mollies and that is what happened. They will also make it with goldfish but its not the best environment for them, so its not a good idea, I did before I joined this website and knew about fish and they were not happy. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Well day 3 of the guppies and they are doing real good. I've noticed that they like to face where there is sunlight. The red one seems to be in charge and pushing the others around. I'm going to keep a good eye on him to make sure he doesn't get so violent with the others.

Even though they are all males I've decided to name them disney princess names.

Red - Ariel

Yellow - Bell

Orange with spots - Snow White

Light Blue - Cinderella

Dark Blue - Jasmin

I put their tank next to my betta's so that my betta could watch them and not get so bored. Sometimes I see him flaring at them and the they really keep him active.

Do I need to soak the guppies' foods? The pellets I feed them are semi-floating so they sink within 10 seconds but I wasn't sure if they get SBD like goldfishes do.

Cute names. We'd love to see pics of the guppies and their home!

Guppies aren't prone to sbd so you don't have to soak their food. Although you are slightly overstocked, I think with regular partial waterchanges and careful monitoring of the water quality they should be fine. Make sure that ammonia is always 0, nitrite is always 0, and nitrate is under 20, and do not rinse or replace the filter media/cartridge.

Okay there is a little bit of a mystery going on in my tank.. one of my guppies are missing! The smallest one too. I do not see any dead bodies or anything. It was the yellow guppie that I named Bell.

Here is the info on when he had disappeared.

7 am. I had seen all the guppies as I left for school.

11 am. My sister believes that she had seen the yellow one zoom by when she walked passed the tank.

6:30 pm. I briefly looked at all of the fish but dont recall seeing the yellow one.

7 pm. the yellow guppy is officially missing.

Can guppies eat themselves??? What could have happened??

Look everywhere in the room for him, because it's possible that he jumped. Move all the ornaments and check the filter incase he's stuck somewhere. I doubt they killed and ate him unless there was a HUGE size difference. Since you didn't have them for long, its more likely he was sick or stressed and died, then the others ate his remains.

He couldn't have possibly jumped out because the tank has a top on it. He was not in the filter or under the gravel or ornaments. I think the others probably ate his remains after he died like kissy had said.

If there's an opening where the filter is, he could've gotten out that way if he did jump. I had a Betta do that once.

Sorry for the late response.. I have been busy with school activities lately.

I checked around the tank and in the filter and everywhere possible.. no sign of poor Bell. It remains a mystery...

Archived