Help Red Raw Lesions With Raised Scales Where The Lesions Are

l_lds2006

hey all got this lionhead given to me yesterday from the lfs as the owner asked me if i wanted him as he couldnt be bothered treating him so i agreed to take him now this is my he sometimes bottom sits turns on his sides has red raw lesions on his body the scales in this area are raised um some of his scales have fallen off at the base of his tail he is nasty looking here are some pics of him I have put salt in the tank I dunno what this is so i dont know what to treat him with here are some pics

P3032774.jpg

P3032776.jpg

P3032775.jpg

P3032777.jpg

* Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level?.50

Nitrite Level?0

Nitrate level?0

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.5

Ph Level out of the Tap?7.5

* Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 1 yr

* What is the name and size of the filter/s?

* How often do you change the water and how much? normally i do weekly water changes

# How many fish in the tank and their size? Lionhead in 10 ga hospital tank

# What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

# Any medications added to the tank?

# Add any new fish to the tank? no

# What do you feed your fish?

# Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?red raw lesions on body

# Any unusual behavior like staying sometimes staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? staying sometimes on bottom goes on side

Hi Jillian, he is a cutie but does look ill. These lesions doubled with the raised scales coule be a bad bacterial infection.

As you've only had him since yesterday, it'll be hard to pinpoint whether this is the cause or a symptom of something else so I'd start treating with some meds straight away. First thing to do is try and get the ammonia down to (or as close to) 0. Do you have any meds on hand for bacterial infection? Any medicated food?

I personally would go with a round of Maracyn One and Two together and start feeding medicated food ie. medigold and monitor his progress. Then I'd keep an eye out for any symptoms that may point to a parasite.

Have you noticed whether or not he's scratching on anything?

How is his breathing? Laboured?

How's his poop looking?

hi jen i have maracyn 2 and medicated food his poop has been white he hasnt been scratching but i noticed he tires easily when swimming goes to the bottom and sits there and also lays on his side and gilps for air and then kinda floaty hard to describe the floaty bit he has started doing this more often also spitting out food will work on getting ammonia levs down to zero I hope it isnt what my other lionhead had as he had the lesions like this but not as bad will put first dose of mar 2 in and get mar 1 asap and start med food

Hi Jillian, if he's spitting out food then something's irritating his gills. Can you check what colour they are?

Does he yawn at all?

I suspect there could be a parasite at play and if this is the case, then running a blanket treatment of Parasite Clear might be the better option as it contains acriflavin and metronidazole - both antibiotics that can resolve any secondary bacteria while the other ingredients are designed to erradicate parasites. Plus if you start feeding medicated food, this'll also help with bacteria. Going with this kind of treatment method would take care of both problems.

Poor thing - it sounds as though he's struggling but hopefully the meds will help him :)

Well looks like bacterial like Jen said hope he pulls through.Fins crossed for you :)

Hi Jillian,I really can't add anything to what Jen said,as she covered both sides here,Just giving support. :)

He looks to be a real sweetie pie,so I hope that he feels better real soon. :heart

Do you have an airpump for the tank? He's going to need lots of oxygen right now. Does he have an appetite at all? What happens when you drop some food in front of him?

It's definitely not a good sign :(

I think for now, all you can do is try and keep his water perfect ... it's a pity you don't have any parasite clear in the cupboard (or do you?) because I would run a dose of this first.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed - he's such a good looking little fellow.

:) He's a big tough boy Jillian,so maybe that had something to do with it. :D Complete all treatments even though he's doing better,and try to keep those params pristene as possible. :)

Archived