Constipation?

Zelanie

Just checking up on the health of my new Ryukin, Esme

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? between 5 and 10

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? pH 7.8, KH 71.6, GH I haven't tested in a while, last test it was 71.6 (before crushed coral added)

The pH and KH have recently changed, as my KH out of the tap was 35.8 when I first tested. I have since added a bag of crushed coral to my filter, this raised pH and KH to current levels).

Ph Level out of the Tap? 7.0 - 7.2

* Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 29 gal, 3.5 weeks with fish, approximately 4 week fishless cycle before that

* What is the name and size of the filter/s? Aquaclear 70, 300 gph

* How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week, 30 - 50%

# How many fish in the tank and their size? Two fish, one lionhead 1.5" with tail, the other a ryukin 3" with tail (the last one has rather long fins, body only about 2")

# What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

# Any medications added to the tank? none

# Add any new fish to the tank? Both are new. The lionhead has been in 3.5 weeks, the ryukin 2 weeks

# What do you feed your fish? Hikari lionhead daily, plus peas on the weekends

# Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? nope

# Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? See below

My Ryukin, Esme, had a very long, clear poo this morning. It was maybe 2" long and had a bubble in it, and was floating above where she sleeps (low current in that spot which is why it was still there I guess). I didn't feed pellets today after seeing that, only peas. She hasn't had another since that feeding. I haven't been able to watch super closely today, but haven't seen any poo, green or otherwise, coming from either fish since then. Esme had a little bit of white poo on maybe the third day after I got her, but since then, the poo that I have seen (don't see it often from her) has seemed nomal.

Esme has always been a surface "drinker". I have been thinking that maybe she's used to getting fed from the surface, as she's also really bad at catching the sinking food. She loves to try to get stuff at the top, and will try to eat anything she sees at the surface (my hand, the new heater, whatever). She will handfeed the peas, but not the minipellets just yet. Sometimes, I think she's just trying to eat the bubbles. Other times, she stays up at the top for a few "gulps". This seems like it's part of her regular foraging routine. Usually, but not always, she'll "spit" the air back out when she comes down. She often does this right where the filter spills into the tank.

The lionhead has been the model of health the whole time. I see her up at the top rarely.

There have been two major changes to the tank in the past week to week and a half. The first was the crushed coral that was added to the filter, raising the pH by about 0.8. The second was the addition of the heater. The temp was raised from 66 to 72 degrees F over a couple of days.

I would really prefer not to treat her if she's actually healthy, and just needs some time to adjust to the new surroundings. She had about a 1 hour car ride to get home, and I'm sure the water is significantly different where she was, not to mention all the changes to the water chemistry since she got here.

I don't want to overreact, but I do want to take action if there is a concern. For example, while I might eventually have to get some of the goldfish connection med food, since I only have two fish and it doesn't last a long time, I don't want to order it as a preventative (I have the jungle labs med food on hand for emergencies). My plan for the moment is to feed only peas until I see confirmed green poo from both fish, and to keep an eye out to see anything else unusual.

Does that sound reasonable? Is there anything I should pay particular attention to?

This sounds more than reasonable Zelanie :) Transporting and a new environment may have stressed her some but if the poop stays clear, long and stringy for a couple of days - then it may be time to look deeper. For now though, it could just be a reaction to the change in her environment.

It's an interesting thing when fish suck at the surface - I have about 4 that do this and have done so for years. Unfortunately their waste is full of bubbles but there's nothing I can do as the water is excellent and the tank has loads of air/surface agitation.

So hopefully it's nothing and she'll settle soon :)

It's good to know that otherwise healthy fish will sometimes suck at the surface. The peas seemed to do the trick and the poo is back to normal, but she still goes up there pretty regularly.

Archived