New Filter

dana

Well, i got Charlie Parker a new filter. On recommendation of members here i got an Elite Mini. It is for a 3 gallon tank, and Charlie Parker is in a 5 gallon, but it sounds like i'll do the trick. I did a goop transfer between the old and new sponges, and all seems to be fine. It does seem to be blowing him around a bit, so i have to see what i can do to remedy that. In the meantime, Mr Parker has found himself a new favourite hiding spot - wedged on top of the filter! Here's some pics:

bedsbellies003.jpg

bedsbellies001.jpg

He is the cutest little thing ever! :heart I so want a betta! I was looking at 5 gallon tanks the other day and the lfs manager said what are you looking at that for?!? No more fish for you! :blink: Its bad when the lfs manager says no more fish huh?

I will have a betta!

He is the cutest little thing ever! :heart I so want a betta! I was looking at 5 gallon tanks the other day and the lfs manager said what are you looking at that for?!? No more fish for you! :blink: Its bad when the lfs manager says no more fish huh?

I will have a betta!

Tread carefully Kat - it's a VERY addicting habit!

Hi Dana, Charlie Parker looks soo cute in his new hiding place!

As for the flow, I thought the Elite Mini's had a movable outflow thing? I used to to have one and I found that by turning the outflow diverter almost upside down and slightly towards the tank wall it seemed to slow it down a bit, if you see what I mean :)

Oh, the other thing to say is that if you don't want the bubbles you don't need to attach the venturi tubing to the outflow if you don't want to, it's optional, it will still work fine with a betta. I never bothered with it as the slight surface aggitation caused by the filter flow alone was enough to oxygenate the water, and besides as you know Bettas can air breath anyway. But hey, bubbles are pretty!

Thanks Mr. B! The mimi does have a movable flow thingy, and i have it pointing directly at the wall. maybe i'll try angling it down a bit too. How often do you think should clean out the sponge? Of course i mean by cleaning it out, lightly swishing it in tankwater.

Thanks!

How often do you think should clean out the sponge?

Hi Dana

Yeah, those Elite Mini's have a small sponge filter block don't they? With only one male betta and no live plants, I'd say a monthly rinse would be sufficient, but of course some people would say sooner and some later! Just monitor the outflow everyday and if it seems to drop off then maybe rinse it sooner. One male betta won't produce enough gunk to block it off too often though :)

He's a clever fellow to find a way to stay out of the current. :D

My Betta has an odd perch too. I should get a pic.

Can you lower his perch a bit to keep his dorsal fin from being at the surface. you don't want it to dry and get weak.

Have fun,

Archived