My Chubby Betta

dana

Here are some pictures of my fat Male VT Betta, Mr. Charlie Parker. If anything is glaringly wrong otherwise, please let me know.

In the meantime, i've started him on a diet. Other than being fat, he seems totally fine. Still recovering from finrot - alas his finnage is just not the same as it was, i wonder if it ever will be again.

Presenting Mr. Charlie "Chubby" Parker:

bedsbellies020.jpg

bedsbellies016.jpg

bedsbellies018.jpg

bedsbellies022.jpg

bedsbellies014.jpg

bedsbellies018.jpg

What a cutie. I think he may just be overfed and need a diet as you mentioned. Sometimes it is difficult to get finnage to come back. Most times it will grow back but in my expereince it takes quite a while. Zeke the betta I had, had finrot for the whole time I had him.He came to me that way from poor water conditions from his previous owners. His tail continued to grow the whole time I owned him. The kid I gave him to says it has grown even more since he has had him. so it has been 5 months that it took his tail to grow out. I would continue to keep the water pristine and you may have to keep bettafix in the water all the time. I had to do that with Zeke. As soon as I quit the bettafix his fins would get fin rot again. But if I kept him on it his tail grew. I also put a low solution of salt in his tank

Aww he looks good! Just needs a little diet like you said.

It really depends as far as fin regrowth. His look fine to me actually. My first male Orchard was a tail biter, and his fins always grew back beautifully before he big them off again. My current male, Leaf, is totally different. He had very bad finrot when I got him and it neer fully grew back. When I first brought him home, he had butterfly type fins, with a red/clear edging. I thought for sure that he was a butterfly, but very gradually red started spilling into the clear and a little more regrowth has occured. He's a messy looking betta but I still love him! He needs new pictures.

Guest Sashimi

Aww, he's a cutie! He might be constipated, you may want to fast him for a few days and then give him a little bit of the inside of a pea (I did this for my Sushi when he got to fat, and it worked beautifully).

have you seen him poo recently? If you have then I do not think it is constipation. I think he is just overfed. Fat is not good for pets of any kind including fish. Cuts down on their life span

Mr Tubsey Parker that 3rd pic sure shows his belly.I only feed my betta Ragman 2 pellets a day and he still wants more we have to say no to those adorable faces :D

Why oh why do I have this in my head....

Sang to the tune of Brass Monkey by the Beastie Boys...

Fattttttttttt Bettaaaaaa

That fattttieeee Betttaaaa....

I'd like my medication now please.

He's too cute! :heart

Thanks for all the great comments and replies guys! Poor Charlie Porker. i mean, Parker. I fasted him for 3 days, and have since only been giving him about 3 pellets once a day. I have seen no reduction in his belly. Steady on i guess. I haven't seen him poop, but then again, i've never seen him poop ever, so that is not unusual.

As for the finnage, i do keep a 1 tsp/gallon level of salt in the water, and i did have him on a regular bettafix schedule, but thouught about trying without for a while to see how that would go. His fins don't look too much better, but not too uch worse either, so that's good i guess. When i first got him, his fins looked like a heavy curtain, so full and beautiful. Now they look wispy and thin. I'll just keep at 'er with the water changes, and hope for the best.

Yjanks again everybody!

Archived