My 3 Wk Old Fry Are Starting To Mistake Each Other For Food

GoinNuts

I did my daily count today and I'm down by at least 3 (from 34 to 31). I thought maybe they were just hiding and I wasn't geting an accurate count, but (TMI alert) I noticed a bit of what I thought was airborne debris in the tank that, upon closer inspection, was actually well... I don't think I need to say the rest. :cry1:cry1

I separated the tinies from the big ones the other day. Now I'm trying to seperate the big ones/bullies from the medium/gentle ones.

At midnight. I am so tired. :blink:

Problem is that I've exhausted my supply of tanks, filters, pumps, bio-media and - most of all - outlets. I've no more plugs left! Rut-roh.

I really don't understand why they are doing this, though. I know they aren't hungry, because I tend to overfeed and vacuum up leftover food at least once a day. Why are they eating each other?

This fry thing, while exciting and fascinating as all get out, can be really sad at times. :(

Lisa

Edited by GoinNuts

That's so true Lisa :(

When you say overfeed and vacuum once a day - does this mean overfeed several times a day and vacuum once?

I wanted to stop my larger fry from sniffing around my smaller ones so started feeding 6 times a day.... and with more feedings came increased growth rate so in the end they could fend for themselves :)

Otherwise, you could try using a partition to separate them. I made one up using a plastic frame and some plastic door screen and affixed it using plastic pull ties. This way filtered water is still supplied to the entire tank :)

The partition was what I was going to suggest. I have just one "smaller" guy in my first batch of fry - he is less than 1/2 the size of the others. I put him in one of those large "breeder" boxes that float in the tank. That way the food and water is free to go in and out with the water currents, but his siblings cannot chow down on him.

Incidentally, the littler ones - even the tiniest one - that I have appear to be just as good or even a better conformed fish than some of the giant ones! It may be well worth the extra work and trouble to care for those little guys. :)

Thanks everyone. Sometimes, I wish I didn't get so attached so easily. :(

When you say overfeed and vacuum once a day - does this mean overfeed several times a day and vacuum once?

Jen, I feed 4x a day and vacuum any leftover food before each feeding.

It may be well worth the extra work and trouble to care for those little guys.

Oh, I agree Daryl. I'm actually more 'protective' of my little guys. :) I had one that was soooooo itty bitty and I kept him in a separate bowl for a while. He's still my littlest one, but he's growing and looks to have a very nice shape. Regardless of how he turns out, I just have a big ol' soft spot for him.

how big are your little guys now?

Julie, my biggest fry are almost 3/4" while my tinies are only about 1/4".

I'll try and make a partition today. I attempted to put my divider for my 55g in there last night, but I couldn't make it fit. I have several sheets of plastic canvas - I should be able to fashion a partition, or maybe even a box, out of that.

Here's hoping no more get eaten!

Lisa

Sorry! I put this in the wrong thread. Ugh. Sorry 'bout that! Moving it to the correct thread now!

================================================================

3 weeks old today and doing pretty well. I lost a few more over the past week, most due to cannibalism, so I'm down to about 29 now. I'm switching them over to a diet of Hikari First Bites by replacing 2 BBS feedings a day and working my way to phasing out the BBS completely (except for treats). To tell you the truth, I think they are growing better on the Hikari. Or maybe it's just the age they are now they are growing more quickly?

Anyway, here they are:

Looks like I may end up with some blacks/black moors!

Fry_3wks_6.jpg

Now, this pic isn't that great, but if you look reeeeaaaaal close at the spot above this baby's eye, you'll see what appears to be a spot of blue. I am SO hoping for a blue and black, as Daddy Zoey is a blue and orange.

Fry_3wks_7.jpg

A small, blurry school of babies:

Fry_3wks_8.jpg

I do have some light-colored ones in the bunch. This is the best solo pic I could get.

Fry_3wks_10.jpg

This little guy has 'tude!

Fry_3wks_9.jpg

Lisa

Edited by GoinNuts

Those guys are looking really good! You are definately doing something right!!!! WOW!.

I hope you get your black moors. :)

Thank you, Daryl! That really means a lot to me, coming from you. :D

I tell ya, I am working my tushie off for these guys, lol. Delicate water changes everyday, food prepped 'just so' 4-5 times a day and the 'table cleaned up after each meal'. Oh, so many things I've learned or am trying to learn for these little cuties. My brain hurts. But, I do think I'm getting myself some good biceps goin' on, what with all the water buckets I've been lifting every day!

And I thought human babies were work! :P

Lisa

They're looking great Lisa :D At 3 weeks, they're a decent size no? Am I seeing a couple of single tails in there? I particularly love that first shot because even though I know they're only tiny, that shot makes them look huge and clear :D

:) I find it facinating that a group of fish can look so very different from each other.I think that it has to keep you on edge and guessing,just what they'll end up turning out to be,kind of exciting. :exactly

Your pics are awsome,and the fish look beautiful. :D

Thanks, Jen! My biggest ones are almost 3/4" including tail. I have some tinies in another tank that I couldn't get pics of (I did a stupid human strick and broke my hood) that are only about 1/4". The rest are around the 1/2" mark.

Am I seeing a couple of single tails in there?

It looks like it in the pics but no, they all have double (or is it split?) tails. Mom is a black moor and dad is a fantail that may have some Ryukin in him, I think.

Sharon, it definitely keeps me guessing, lol. The differences from day to day - sometimes hour to hour it seems - are amazing. And thank you very much for the compliments. :D

Lisa

:o These pics are great! They are huge! They almost makes me cry of cuteness! I see some calicos in there too!

Good job!