Goldfish Tanks

Guest avalon

Guest avalon

Well I currently have a 1 inch black moor (Onyx) who desperately needs his own tank, right now he's stuck with tropicals, and is torturing my poor Molly.

Anyway I'm only 15 so my budget dosnt really extend to buying a nice 50g glass tank for him, so I've been looking at plastic storage tubs.

I'm fairly good with my hands, but am limited to simple things as anything involving wood or cutting last sheets of material means I need my dad's help, my dad's a perfectionist, nothing ever gets done. Anyway I've always really liekd the idea of a fish highway-

http://www.fishighway.com/

Though obviously I'd have to do it on a smaller scale LOL.

So I ahve three basic schools of thought LOL

1. get two 30g plastic tubs and link them with the fish highway idea, use the DIY filter I've been working on, as the sole filtration system

2. get a single 60g plastic tub, which is hopefully rigid enough. Use the DIY filter. Lol yes I can get my hands on that size storage tub easily. I live in outback Australia, so most stores sell things with the idea of using it for livestock, my family has a few 200g tubs lying around, but there a wee bit big for me, plus are being used for breeding cages for my guinea pigs right now, oh and one is being used as a swimming pool for alpacas. The only problem is anything to do with small pets is ten times the price.

3. Use all my money on a glass tank, then spend another year saving for the filter LOL

The DIY Filter is something I've been fooling with for a while, as all the filters I've bought never ahve enough filter material in them. I've seen the design a few times before but cant remeber exactly where I got it. But basically a powerhead with a sponge over its intake, pumps water into a 60cm long planter, the water runs over sponges, bioballs and various filter media. At the opposite end to the pump is a small series of holes and the water then does a little water fall back into the tank.

Just wondering what you guys think? Onyx is currently in a 20g tank, but he needs to move soon as I'm moving my paradise fish into the 20g and Onyx and the paradise fish do not get one

Emma

It's wonderful that you're planning to give Onyx such a large volume, but why 50gallons+ for just him? Are you bringing the tropicals along too? I'm a little confused.

As far as the "fish highway," I know a few other members have brought it up, and personally I think it's needless and a waste of energy. It's cute and if it does work it's neat to watch the fish swim through, but as your tank ages, it can get yucky and it becomes a pain to clean.

I'm not good at DIY filter stuff, so hopefully someone else with more experience can give you their two cents about that.

Guest avalon

LOl because I'm hate water changes, the bigger the tank the less often I gotta change the water, I am planning on adding another goldfish with Onyx, but this'll be a permanent home so he can grow into it, and by the time he's fully grown he should fit it nicely.

Plus even though I completely understand goldfish sold in pet stores have never seen a river or pond etc, I dunno, I just dont like the idea of squishing them into a small tank when I can easily afford a much larger more comfortable tank for him.

Emma

:welcome

Sounds like you have a good idea. Onyx will love all the extra space to grow and thrive in(up to 20cm or 8 inches)

I'm with nenn on the water bridge thing too. they can be a pain to clean, and the water can become stale inside of them because the lack of water flow.

Guest avalon

I thought of the problem with water flow, but if you put the input to the filter into one tub and out put into the other tub, there'll be a continuous waterflow through the tube.

LOL I'm a scientist at heart, if looks odd or hard to do I'll try it, My Mum'll happily tell you about the time when I was 6 and wanted to know how printers work, I dont think dad ever forgave me for that one LOL.

Well its just an idea, for cleaning it I could always use one of those magnetic scrapery things, It's an idea though, clear pvc might cost way to much etc.

From what I've read with fancies, if given a large enough space they do have the poitential to grow to 12 inches, I'd love it if Onyx got that big, I'd def know I have a happy fishy LOL

Oh I had another idea for ponds, Bunnings sells rigid pond liners, I'd need to have another look at prices, but they might work out to be a good price

Emma

Guest avalon

Well I stopped by another pet store today to pick up some frozen bloodworm and was looking at their tanks and sometimes you just gotta laugh. They had a "goldfish starter kit" that I was interested in for my Paradise fish, It couldn't have been more then 10g, probably smaller and the pet store employee was trying to convince me I could fit 10 goldies in there LOL.

Anyway what I wanted to ask was if I bought a tank, what size would be the minimum for a full grown goldfish? somewhere around 30g?

Oh and I've been looking into bare bottom tanks, To run a bare bottom tank you use additional filters/power heads to keep the poop moving towards the filter right?

Thanks

Emma

If you extend your filter intake down to the bottom of the tank, it'll do a pretty good job of cleaning up all the poo by itself.

Most of the time a 20 gallon tank will be sufficient for a fancy goldfish for its life, but if you have the money and room for a larger tank, go for it.

Just make sure your filter pumps at least 10x the volume of the tank. (30 gallon tank, 300GPH filter)

Guest Kiki Lola

Since it's only 60cm wide, are you sure that'd be big enough for more than one fish? (assuming you're adding more?) :) Mind you, it's 1m high. I've always personally preferred wider tanks than higher tanks, but it's a good tank for your blackmoor :D

Guest avalon

The full tank and stand is one metre. The actual Tank is 30 x 60 x 40, sigh thats only 72l thats less then 20g, Gah nice tank none the less LOL.

Guess I'll go back to the storage tank idea

Emma

Guest avalon

Hehe I just finished test running my filter, it worked really well, I had a couple of leaks, so I've used a healthy dose of aquarium silicon to fix it LOL.

I also need to get a better power head, but will wait till I get the storage tub so I know what powerhead I need, but i was thinking of something in the 1000l/ph range.

So the way the filter works just for a recap LOL

The power head sits at the bottom of the tank, the tanks gonna be bare bottomed. It'll have some type of prefilter on it to catch poop and debris, I'm thinking about using the top part of a coke bottle. Anyway the water is sucked in by the power head, debris is caught in the prefilter. The water then travels up to the planter, it'll travel over a series of sponges, bioballs and probably some ammonia remover rock things, then out through two tubes to either waterfall back into the tank, or if I cant stand the noise it'll be sent straight back into the tank through tubing.

Emma

Guest Kiki Lola

I used to have a terribly noisy filter (there was a LOUD bubbling noise, like blowing through a straw into a drink) and it also used to hum loudly. Thankfully, my new tank emits a wonderful quiet hum and gentle bubbling that I can't seem to sleep without nowadays! :D

Be careful with the ammonia remover stuff. If it is zeolite that you are talking about, it can prevent your cycle from being established, as it binds ammonia into a form not accessible by the bacteria. Also if you use salt it'll dump all that ammonia back into the water and be toxic to your fish.

Guest avalon

Yah Zeolite, usually I dont bother with it, it just helps a bit when theres heavy stock of fish. Lol okies wont use it for now

Guest avalon

Well the Filter at least is finished. For the actual material there'll be various grades of sponges, then a couple of handfuls of coarse gravel to provide additional surface area.

I'm still working on the poop catcher for the power head. I was thinking about using the top of a coke bottle, with a very large gauge netting material over the larger end to stop the fish climbing in and having a rummage. At the smaller end there'd be filter floss, to stop the poop being sucked through the power head, then somehow the opening of the bottle'll be attached to to the power head. Then the water would go through the large filter which'll have plenty of material for bacteria growth and back into the tank.

Hopefully if I can get it working the tank will be bare bottomed, if not I do have some cycled gravel I can put in it.

What do ya think? On Saturday we'll stop by Bunnings who'll hopefully have a 200l+ tub I can use, if not I'll settle for a 160l but would prefer over 200l.

Emma

Guest avalon

Well the largest one they had was a 160l ultra heavy duty one, so I settled for that LOL, I think it's actually meant for a fish pond, since it dosnt look like any storage tub I've ever seen LOL. It ended up being black so I guess it's not gonna be barebottom as Onyx is a black moor.

Ah well, least I've got the tub

Guest avalon

Well I now have a pond, god it was a horror to fill. The tap closest to it is soooo slow and all I have is buckets, but it's full now LOL, and got gravel and a working filter.

the Gravel I put in is directly from another tank, and I also added a bucket of the crud you vacuum out of gravel, so hopefully that's enough to seed the cycle, as I seriously need to get Onyx out of the tropical tank. But it works out to look really big, its a meter long 55cm wide and about 30 deep., so a nice big surface area. Hmm considering how big it looks, I could prob put 3 gfs in LOl, nah I'd probably regret it for quite a while considering the amount of water changes it'd need lOL.

And heres the tank

Indoorpond004resize.jpg

Emma

Guest avalon

OMG hehe, I just measured the tub and according to its measurements it holds 50g LOL, me thinks someone got there price tags mixed up LOL. The measurements are 85x 65 x 35 which gives you about a 195 litres which is 50g US LOL. Now I'm very happy LOL

Archived