Red Blotch On Dorsal Fin

Guest KarenMac

Guest KarenMac

Hi There; Please help me with this problem. My fish did have air in his stomach and spent much time floating on his back. I starved him for three days, put him on a pea diet and then an antibacterial diet for ten days. This helped but not much. I put him back on the pea diet again and now he is on sinking pellet food. He has developed a red streak that looks like bruising along his back. He spends most of his time sitting on a plant at the back of the tank.

The ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are at 0. The Ph is at 8. It's a 30 gallon tank with one other (healthy) fish. Each fish is about 3" in length. The tank has been running for a few years. It's an AquaClear 300 filter. The water is changed weekly at a rate of 20% for each change.

Please help. I don't know what else to do.

Thanks in advance,

Karen

I don't know the answer to you question but I am sure someone will be along soon to help you out. What I am concerend about is your water readings. For a tank that has been running a few years you should have nitrates in your water, they should not be at zero. When was the last time that you tested your water?

Hi Karen and :welcome

So it looks like there's red under the scales near his dorsal?

What antibacterial diet did you have him on?

Also, how does his poop look? Heathy and thick? Or white and stringy?

When he rests, does he do so with clamped fins?

Kimma's right, in an established tank you should be showing nitrates - so would you be able to retest and post back the number?

He could still have a bacterial problem--probably a more resistant strain. Red streaks often indicate infection. I used Anti Bacterial pellets from Jungle to cure my fish when he had septicemia that gave him red streaks. Other people say Medi Gold works better for them. I personally would give him another round of the medicated food--maybe go for 14 to 21 days to make sure all of the bacteria is killed.

Guest KarenMac

Another round of antibiotics might be a good idea. If it weren't for the red streak on his back and resting on the plants at the back I'd say he was better than he was when he was floating around on his stomach.

I rechecked the nitrate level and it is [i%

Another round of antibiotics might be a good idea. If it weren't for the red streak on his back and resting on the plants at the back I'd say he was better than he was when he was floating around on his stomach.

I rechecked the nitrate level and it is just above zero; probably at 1 or 2. His fins are not clamped and his appetite is very good. I haven't noticed the quality of his feces at all. I'll keep an eye out however.

Should I keep adding salt to the tank when I do the water changes? I don't add much; probably about 3 tsp. per 5 gallon water change.

Thanks to everyone who is trying to help me with this!

Karen

It looks as though she's developing some fin rot too (just a guess). I was away at the cabin for only two days and this has come up quickly. Her dorsal fin (top fin on her back) has a white line running through it and it may be fraying a bit. The redness is pronounced at the end.

Hi Karen, are you able to get metronidazole over the counter? This is a good antibiotic and is an excellent med for protozoa.... or something like Doxycycline. Kanaplex is bascially Kanamycin which is also a good antibiotic against Flexibacter and Aeromonas (plus fungal infections) so could be a good product to try.

I'm currently treating my redcap for a bad bacterial infection - he was beet red all over and the only thing helping is Doxycycline in water (plus a Doxy/Metronidazole gel food).

If you're able, can you get some medicated food? You could combine the feed with an in water med to help resolve it :)

So Metronadazole and Kanaplex aren't food....when I asked for MediGold at the pet store they said they didn't have that but suggested these other two products. Is it a good idea to treat a whole tank if only one of the two fish are sick? Can the meds screw up the levels of the tank in any way?

Also, I'm not sure what form of Metronadazole it is. Is one type better than another? (I plan to pick up some sort of solution tomorrow).

Thanks for all your help!

Karen

I'd try and get some medigold which can be ordered through www.goldfishconnection.com and they can express ship to you. It's an excellent treatment against bacteria without hurting your biological filtration.

Any bacterial med you place in the water can hurt the filter because it doesn't discriminate between good or bad bacteria :)

I already have some MediGold and am starting to use it. I have a question however. Apparently it's recommended that food be pre-soaked before it's added to the tank (I haven't been doing that). If you presoak the food, doesn't it just fall to the bottom where the fish may not necessarily be able to get to it? I soaked the MediGold in some water for about two minutes before I added it to the tank and everything just sank to the bottom. The fish got a couple of pieces but even though I added it slowly, most of it went to the bottom.

No, you shouldn't soak the food - just drop it into the tank as is so that (as you say) the meds don't leech into the water rendering them ineffetive. They sink to the bottom anyhow so don't need pre-soaking to remove any air :)

The red streak is gone and he's starting to look normal. He can still spend time floating on his stomach though. I'm going to keep her on the MediGold until March 21st or so. What do you think?

I don't know how big a deal this is but....the fish is looking a lot healthier in terms of her energy etc. However, on the fin where the red streaking was running through her body (the red streak was running just below the fin that's affected), the fin is starting to fray away. There is a black ridge/line at the point the fin has frayed to. She's still on the medicated food and I'm doing weekly water changes. Any thoughts? And again, thanks so much for your help!

Hi Karen, any fin fraying should be taken seriously incase it's bacterial fin rot.

Did it start out with a whitish coating around the tips?

Are the fins splitting? Or are they literally shredding? How far down has it gone?

Is there any chance you can take a pic?

There was nothing white at all. The most noticable thing was the blackness. The black is running through the "veins" of the fin. The fin seems to be receding to meet the black. As to a photo, I don't know how to add one.

Karen

Also, (I forgot to mention in the previous posting) the blackness is located on the fin just above where the redness was in her body. The red is now gone in the body but has been replaced by the black and fraying at the fin.

You can upload a pic via photobucket or maybe it'd be quicker to send to me via email? If you'd rather do it this way, you can send it to jenlawrence@optusnet.com.au and i'd be happy to upload it. I'm really keen to see any pics you have because i'm trying to picture this blackness ... and wonder whether it's the blackness associated with chemical burn? :hmm

I'll look forward to seeing the pics because it'll help shed some light on what may be happening :)

Hi Jen;

I sent the photos. They're being sent from a corporate account so I hope the security on your email doesn't automatically send them to Junk Mail.

Also, she's doing a lot better but her three week course of antibiotic food is supposed to be up today. I'm thinking I should continue with it? What do you think?

Thanks Again for Everything,

Karen

Hi Karen,

It's an interesting one because my butterfly who was eggbound (then once massaged and back to normal) ended up with blackening around the edges of her fins - in particular her pectoral and ventral...

Now there was no ammonia in the water, nor has there been for years so it couldn't be this but what I did find is blackening can also be attributed to medicating, water quality problems or (and this is the one I believe relates to our fish) surface irritation to the epidermis which is healing - more commonly known as melanophore migration.

So with some time and excellent water, it should start to fade - but if there's a deeper problem, then other symptoms should appear...

How is she looking today? Any reduction in the blackening?

I've uploaded your pics to show others:

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

Thanks for posting the photos! What's interesting is the fact that the blackening started to occur just above the red blotch. As the red blotch faded it's almost as though whatever was in there was leaching through the "veins" in her fin and then the end of the fin started dissolving.

The water quality is very good and she seems to be getting stronger. Her appetite is good too although she still spends a lot of time floating stomach up. Also her feces is still long white strands. She's still on the MediGold diet and has been now for just over a month. You suggested earlier that it might be an extremely virulent strain of parasite. I'm thinking I should keep her on this diet. Any thoughts?

Archived