Need Advice On Getting A New Tank

Guest chevyygirl

Guest chevyygirl

I am officially adopting my niece's fantail..she's never at home enough to properly take care of him (I guess it's a him? lol) so I'm taking over 'cause I've fallen in love with the little guy! Here's my dilemma. Right now I have him in a five gallon tank and want to get him a new LARGER home as soon as I can! The five gallon tank is on my desk..the desk is pretty big and sturdy. My question is this. How large a tank, and can I put it on the desk, or will I need a separate stand?? I'm looking at getting a ten or twenty gallon..because I'm considering adding another fantail!!

Thanks for any and all advice..'cause I have found lots here so far!!

Leigh

It'll depend on the weight capacity and dimensions of your desk -- which probably isn't a lot. Tanks weigh A LOT.

check out this: http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/tipsandt.../bltanksize.htm

It's a list of common dimensions and weights of different aquarium sizes. Tanks get pretty darn heavy.

As Nenn already mentioned, you have to be extremely careful of the weight. A 10 gallon isn't so bad, but when you get into 20 gallons, things quickly get extremely heavy.

Also, be sure to take into consideration what can happen. Tanks do contain water, after all, and as you will be changing the water, accidents happen. (Ask my toe.) If you have any electronics on, or near the desk, consider relocating them, or consider a different location for the tank.

As Nenn already mentioned, you have to be extremely careful of the weight. A 10 gallon isn't so bad, but when you get into 20 gallons, things quickly get extremely heavy.

Also, be sure to take into consideration what can happen. Tanks do contain water, after all, and as you will be changing the water, accidents happen. (Ask my toe.) If you have any electronics on, or near the desk, consider relocating them, or consider a different location for the tank.

Yep yep. Also, if it's a wooden desk, you're going to get plenty of water damage.

Archived