Jump to content

A Rescue


Guest Halloween

Recommended Posts

Guest Halloween

All the levels in the tank are zero. It's a 10 gallon, salt in, and a heater (+ extra air)

This fish is missing it's jaw. It looks rather fresh + the fish is somewhat chubby (so it's not been starving for long) It seems unable to eat a the surface, and SOMEWHAT unable to eat at the bottom (it'll swim down after food but hesitate right as it's injured mouth is about to touch the rocks. (I don't blame it, it looks painful.) The fish does have clamped fins, and seems unable to gulp air at the surface. It hangs out in the bubble wall breathing that air as it passes to the surface. I was wondering what I can do to maximize it's comfort and chance for survival. I also have all the lights and window blinds shut to make it dark for the fish. I leave for work in an hour and just want to know that I'm doing everything I possibly can be doing.. The fish also has a deep wound on it's side but this looks older. It's not white/red looking like the mouth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

:unsure: It sounds like some sort of Mouth Rot, usually thought to be from some initial Parasite attack.They also say it can be caused by over crowding,or the fish actually scraping itself against gravel/ornaments,etc.

It is normally recommended to treat fast and and furious,and to include something that will kill flukes.

Pristene water has to be a must.I personally would try an Antibiotic asap to stop the rot from getting any worse,and some sort of Parasite treatment such as Prazi,to cover any flukes that may have started the whole problem.The thing is with not being able to eat,this fish will weaken by the minute,so something should be started immediately.

Does his jaw look red,raw,sore,like it just happened? Or Is it possible that it ws originally a deformity of sorts? With the other deeper wound on it's side,it definately sounds like although the fish may have started with Parasites,he went into a secondary infection. :unsure:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Halloween

Does his jaw look red,raw,sore,like it just happened? Or Is it possible that it ws originally a deformity of sorts? With the other deeper wound on it's side,it definately sounds like although the fish may have started with Parasites,he went into a secondary infection. :unsure:

It's really hard to explain, I never thought of mouth rot. When I saw it, right away I thought it looked like the jaw had been ripped off. It isn't a clean cut either. It looks sort of ripped up and meaty. The top lip appears to be gone as well... So it's basically just a small hole in the fishes face with some flesh dangling.... The mouth is so gone that it can't extend it's lips and face out of the water like other goldfish...

The only meds I have (and will be able to have until tomorrow morning) are Maracyn II, Parasite Clear, and Maroxy. I also have aquarium salt, epsom salt, and anti bacterial food (but I hear it's no good to crush anti bacterial food to feed to fish that can't eat whole pieces because the meds fall out and the food is basically useless). Thats it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Myself,I think I'd at least start treatment by using the Maracyn II.It doesn't specifically say "mouth Rot",but I'm assuming that this may be a severe bacterial infection,and maracyn-two is a broad-spectrum antibiotic .I'm figuring at this stage,the poor little guy's got not too much of a chance to begin with. :( That injury sounds pretty severe, Even if it did turn out to be an actual injury,with the severity of it I'd have to guess that an Antibiotic could only help at this stage.

How long have you had this fish now,and it hasn't been able to eat nothing at all? You may have to use some sort of syringe,and forcefeed it to keep its strength up. I applaud you for trying,but don't feel awful if it doesn't work out.His mouth sounds like it went much too long being that way.I'm rooting for the little guy though. :heart

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Halloween

Thanks Devs.. But I found he pased while I was at work. I found him laying on a plant, gone. Instead of dying in petstore 'sick tank' he died in clean caring home. :cry1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I'm sorry H :cry1 and I agree, at least he died while in your care and not in some mass populated tank.

Unfortuantely I don't think he stood a chance because whether from trauma or columnaris/parasites - with part of the outer mouth missing, he would've had a hard time eating (unless syringe fed daily). I remember helping my friend treat her koi for columnaris and the mouth had eroded badly but with an aggressive treatment approach, we managed to save him - but he had to be put to sleep shortly after. He couldn't eat - he tried but just couldn't do it :(

I think it's wonderful that you tried to save this fella :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
:( I'm sorry Halloween,I had a bad feeling that it was much to late for the poor thing,but I hate to totally rule out a miracle happening. It breaks your heart,but at least realize that he's no longer suffering. :heart
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...