Anyone Here Use Ap Proper Ph 7.5?

fondoo

anyone here using AP Proper PH 7.5? I think my PH crashed. PH is usually 7.0 and for the past 2 days one of my BIG oranda was sitting on the bottom of the tank. I did a water test this morning and Ph was 6.0. I immediately scooped 5.5 scoops of Proper PH 7.5 in my 55gal tank and 1 hr later PH went up to 6.8 . should I continue adding properPH to bump the PH to 7.0 tomorrow if it doesnt go up??

anyone here using AP Proper PH 7.5? I think my PH crashed. PH is usually 7.0 and for the past 2 days one of my BIG oranda was sitting on the bottom of the tank. I did a water test this morning and Ph was 6.0. I immediately scooped 5.5 scoops of Proper PH 7.5 in my 55gal tank and 1 hr later PH went up to 6.8 . should I continue adding properPH to bump the PH to 7.0 tomorrow if it doesnt go up??

I'm not familiar with that product, but I think you should seriously get your kH tested. If you're experiencing pH crashes, it means your kH is really low and you need to bump that up fast.

Rather than using proper pH I suggest you add a buffer I use coral gravel to boost your KH and GH this increases your pH as a result and should solve your problem easily it did mine :)

I find the tetratest test strips best for KH and GH easier to get an exact reading.

do you think my KH and GH readings look good?

are test strips accurate? i'm thinking about getting red seas mini kh test kit. atleast i have a color chart to match, since i'm having such a hard time with AP KH/GH test kit.

img3039477.jpg

KH reading is 89.5ppm

GH reading is between 143.2 - 161.1

My understanding is that you have moderately hard water there, with good buffering capacity so you would normally expect to find a slightly higher Ph, it certainly shouldn't be fluctuating.

I agree with Blue, it is generally better to buffer/increase the Gh/Kh in order to acheive a stable Ph than use "quick fix" products (although emergencies are unstandable) Coral gravel works well for increasing Kh. Though, I'm not sure why your Ph crash occured as those numbers are quite good, maybe it was a one off. Hmm...try to identfiy the reasons why it occured - Daryl is good at this stuff, maybe post in the water forum too. Kh naturally drops over time during the nitrification cycle - and is replenished by regular water changes. Have you decreased water changes recently? Are your other parameters stable? Used any medications, new solutions in the water lately? :)

my tank has been cycled. i cleaned the canister filter last week, but i rinsed everything in the old water. i do 25% water changes every saturday. the tank is not medicated, so i'm not sure why ph dropped all of a sudden. i could be reading the KH/GH wrong, so i'll have to get new test kits. since the AP KG/GH is really hard to read. ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, and nitrate is 10

I use test strips for KH GH only I use my API drop test kit for evry thing else

Everyones tanks Kh drops over time between water changes - it's related to the individual cycle of your tank, the carbonates that buffer the water are used by the nitrying bacteria for energy.

Maybe increase the amount and frequency of water changes for now to refresh the water chemistry, find out what your usual tap water stats are first though. Changing the water slowly helps to prevent fluctuations too.

I'm not sure why the Ph crash has occured either but if your tap water stats are good too, you may not need to do anything longterm other than monitor it closely (say weekly) and change slightly more water more often to keep replenishing the Kh. Hopefully, somebody else can make some more suggestions for you :)

Just be careful- do not run after your pH or you will end up with a "Love canal" I am in chicago and the water- naturally is 7.2 and 7.4 goldies tend to acclimate well to the lower levels as long as they are above 7.0 but again let the natural pH do its job before you tuen your tank into a chemistry set- - when changing the water I do add just a very small amount of pH up because water in the tank tends to drop from the bi products- but do not get over zealous- good luck

Eric

I do not use chemicals to boost ph...I have very soft water so it tends to drop fast

I use bi-carb soda to raise ph naturally

1/4 tsp in 9 litres of water will give you 9 litres of water with a ph of 7.2

this is what I use for my waterchanges

If I have a drop in ph between I mix that up and add it to the tank slowely so it does not shock the fish

If you can get crushed coral (i so far have not found any here) you can add some in a pantyhose/stocking and place in the tank...it will gradually leach into the water when needed and even the water out and help maintain the hardness thus stabilizing the ph in the long term.

But for a fast ph crash and fix the coral is to slow so use the baking soda to fix first (or the chemicals if you have to) then the coral as a stabilizer.

as for testing KH and GH I use dropper kits not the test strips...I just fine them more accurate..but yes they do cost a bit more

hope that helps :)

If you in real trouble as mentioned above post in the water quality section where those that know heaps on the subject can help.

Usually the best thing is to naturally fix a problem. I only use what chemicals I HAVE to use. Prime is really about it. I don't like to up & down ANYTHING with additives. The reason needs to be found, not covered up.

I would bump up the water changes to 40% to 50%.

Archived