Perfect Water Qualities

Guest oregongal

Guest oregongal

I have a test kit and use it (learning).

Is there a chart anywhere for OPTIMUM water levels.

Sorry, I did search, cannot find.

Guest oregongal

Thank you, my tank is still cycling.

Even after a water change of 1/3 my ammonia is .50

Is this normal until it levels out?

My Nitrates and nitrites are 0

I guess I dont quite understand yet how things are during a cycling and then when its finished. :krazy:

I have been reading all the great info. on this site, but so far, too much too soon to sink in. :yeah:

Thank you, my tank is still cycling.

Even after a water change of 1/3 my ammonia is .50

Is this normal until it levels out?

My Nitrates and nitrites are 0

I guess I dont quite understand yet how things are during a cycling and then when its finished. :krazy:

I have been reading all the great info. on this site, but so far, too much too soon to sink in. :yeah:

Cycling is a very dangerous time in a tank's life, so you're going to see major jumps in your ammonia unless you do frequent water changes.

Try to keep your ammonia & nitrite at .25ppm or below during the cycling process and hopefully you and your fish will make it out just fine.

Guest oregongal

Try to keep your ammonia & nitrite at .25ppm or below during the cycling process and hopefully you and your fish will make it out just fine.

How long will it take to get my nitrates up during the cycling?

Will my Ammonia levels go down after my nitrates go up?

Sorry, I am still trying to learn.

How long will it take to get my nitrates up during the cycling?

Will my Ammonia levels go down after my nitrates go up?

Sorry, I am still trying to learn.

The entire cycling process can take as long as 6 to 8 weeks. What will happen is you'll see a decline in your ammonia and see an increase in nitrite. Then you'll see a decline in nitrite and an increase in nitrate.

I believe there's a handy dandy chart at the top of the page to refer to about this. :)

Cycling can take up to two months. It all depends on how strong your filtration is, what size tank you have and how many fish are in it.

From what I understand when you start to show nitrItes you ammonia levels will start to go down. And when you start to show nitrAtes all the others should be at Zero. If I am wong about this someone will correct me.

When you show nitrates, your ammonia and nitrite will not necessarily be zero. Ammonia is converted to nitrite and nitrite is converted to nitrate, but not all at once, so there will be stages of conversion going on all the time. If you have a good colony of bacteria and are not overstocked, the levels of ammonia and nitrite should be pretty stable at or around zero when you are fully cycled. Live plants throw a wrench into the deal because they absorb nitrates, which initially had me confused about why my nitrates were not climbing.

Hope that helps at all... I read and read and read all about cycling, but it didn't REALLY click until I was doing it. :idea

Guest oregongal

When you show nitrates, your ammonia and nitrite will not necessarily be zero. Ammonia is converted to nitrite and nitrite is converted to nitrate, but not all at once, so there will be stages of conversion going on all the time. If you have a good colony of bacteria and are not overstocked, the levels of ammonia and nitrite should be pretty stable at or around zero when you are fully cycled. Live plants throw a wrench into the deal because they absorb nitrates, which initially had me confused about why my nitrates were not climbing.

Thank you, but mine do not seem to be going that way.

Here is what I have:

My tank is still cycling, I am doing daily changes.

Ammonia spiked to 4.0 and is now down to 1.0I thought Nitrites were supposed to start climbing as Ammonia decreased.

However my Nitrates are climbing instead.

My levels are:

Ammonia 1.0

PH 6.6

Nitr i tes 0

Nitr a tes 5.0

Now I have no idea what to do to get it correct.

I am using 'Cycle' and it has really helped speed things up.

I do have 'Prime' ordered, its not here yet.

All fish are active and eating well.

What do I need, or should I just be patient and it is OK until cycling is complete?

Sue

oregongal, you are doing fine! The first set of bacteria breaks down ammonia, and you've got that working (your ammonia is going down). It takes a bit of time for your nitrites to register. When they do, they will climb until they spike, then start coming down. When that happens, you will know that you have started colonizing the second type of bacteria that breaks down nitrite. When your ammonia and nitrites go down to zero quickly and your nitrates begin to climb, then you will know you are cycled. It can be a long and frustrating process- and things don't always go perfectly this way, there are little bumps in the road sometimes. Stick with it, you will be SO happy when it is over.

Oh, and be VERY careful while fish are in the tank. Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates can be toxic if they rise above certain levels, and you will need to do water changes when they get high.

Archived