Pop Eye?

Kissy

Oh no :( I remember seeing the thread lower on this forum about white rings around the eyes a sign of pop eye. Leaf has always had tiny light rings, but they have thickened and whitened a lot. His eyes are a normal size and don't look infected, and he acts as healthy and happy as can be, even making bubble nests. I noticed Stormy, his girlfriend who lives next door has got small light rings around her eyes, and that was never there before. They do not share water.

Now...I am pretty sure this is comming from poor water quality, I'm sad to say. My tap water has been out of wack and I've been afraid to use it since nitrates were somewhere above 40ppm, So I've been dosing prime on the tanks instead, especially Leaf's unfiltered tank. I tested the tap water again yesterday and the nitrates finally went down to 20ppm so I'm going to test their water and probably do water changes. So I'll try clean water first...but I don't know if 20ppm is clean enough :( I noticed that in the other thread, the cause of that pop eye looked to be high nitrates also.

I'll be back with stats.

Okay I am back. I tested the water from the tap again and the nitrates are at about 12-15ppm. I didn't bother testing the nitrates for my fish tanks because I know it is higher than that. I'm doing water changes for all my fish today, but it will be difficult because of pH issues.

All of my tanks have pH different from eachother and the tap. At least the tap's pH has gone back to what it was normally. Normally it starts at 7.5 and then goes up to 8ish after aeration because the water company adds CO2. So....I'm going to try and manipulate the water with controlled aeration intervals to get the right pH for each tank. From there, the pH in the tank should rise very slowly on its own to about 8, then waterchanges will be much easier.

Stats:

Leaf's tank:

3 gallons

unfiltered

1 male betta

Stormy's tank:

3 gallons

filtered

1 female betta

I think maybe the ring is a natural thing. My old betta used to have them, but I can't remember if he always did. Maybe they come with age?

Leaf also had a white semi-fuzzy spot on his pectoral fin and wasn't using it as much the past couple days. He seems to be fine now in that sense and I think the spot is gone. I think he just really needed a good waterchange, poor fish. *beats up water company*

I'll see if I can get photos tomorrow when its light out. I hate waking them up.

Archived