Freezing Medicated Pellets

Lyndra

With the passing of Mr.Big aka BigPig, I now have a whole jar of MediGold. I read here that it lasts for 6 months. I was wondering if putting it in the freezer would prolong the effectivenss of the medication. Hopefully I will not have to use it again, but you and I both know that is probably not true. It is expensive and takes some time to ship. If a fish shows signs of illness, I would like to use it ASAP. Anyone know?

Rick at Goldfish Connection told me that it should Not be frozen,or even kept in the fridge,but sealed tight in a cool dry place. :)

I just received my reply from Rick at the Goldfish Connection. Yes you can freeze the MediGold. However when you need to use it again, do not thaw the entire jar. Just take what you need out and place the rest back in the freezer. This is good to know as one never knows when a fish may take ill. This way you have MediGold in store for immediate treatment and will not have to wait for a jar to be shipped.

Well, I don't know now. However, Here's Ricks response to my email to him. Confusing huh?

Hi Lynn,

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Sometimes no matter how hard you try you can not save them.

Yes, you can freeze the Medi-Gold, however, when you go to use it do not thaw out the entire jar just take from the jar what you need and place it back into the freezer.

Rick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2007 8:38 AM

To: rick@goldfishconnection.com

Subject: Freezing MediGold

Hi Rick. We spoke a while back regarding an ailing fish. I purchased a jar of MediGold from you. I want to thank you for your help and super fast shipment, however unfortunately, fishy did not improve and I had to euthanize him several days ago.

I now have this big jar of MediGold, and 6 other very healthy fish. But odds are someone will take ill in the future and I would want to start treatment ASAP. Will freezing the product prolong it's shelf life? Will it damage the antibiotic's effectiveness or prolong it?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Lynn

Archived