Concussed Goldfish - Help !

Guest saggs

Guest saggs

Hi all, in a panic over a stunned goldfish

juwell 400 litre tank with real plants, three goldfish and a plecostomus(spelling)

goldfish are 7(13 yrs and blind), 8(4yrs) and 9 (13 years old known as grumpy :-) )inches long, the plec is 12inches.

the largest goldfish has jumped in the tank and knocked himself out on either the lid or light fitting. This occured about 12 hours ago (7pm uk time)

I did not see what happened but my wife heard a large bang and rushed in to see him sinking sideways to the bottom. he was still breathing and using his front fins.

I increased the aeriation and made sure has facing the water flow direction. he stayed on the bottom overnight and is now trying to swim but is almost horizontal. He is not floating on the surface yet but looks tired, I managed to hand feed him a little flake food this morning. he appears alert and can see fine but is not in control of his direction.

I am keeping the tank light off to lower the stress levels

any idea how long this might last and is there anything i can do?

regards

Saggs

picture a 6ft 2in 200lb man in tears in front of his tank :-)

I had a young koi get a concussion last summer (jumped out and headfirst into a gazebo post). He spent a few days almost motionless and uninterested in food on the bottom, but eventually recovered.

If there doesn't seem to be any physical damage or other symptoms, I'd just keep a very close eye on your water quality and make sure no one else in the tank can give him a hard time, especially that pleco.

Hi Saggs and welcome to kokos :)

Sorry to hear about your fish. That must have given you a shock! Your fish will probably be in shock too for a little while but should recover as long as this is not a symptom of something else.

Although goldfish do very occasionally jump for no apparant reason, one of the most common reasons for jumping fish is toxins in the water -either ammonia or parasites. Do you have a test kit to hand and could you let us know your water results for ammonia, nitrites and pH (as in box above).

Fish that jump can be experiencing a pH crash so pH results are also very important.

A Mod or Helper will then get back to you.

Hi saggs and welcome to the forum.Sorry to hear about your fish.

Can you try and answer the questions up above for us?That will give us a head start on where to begin. :)

As Imogen mentioned,Pristene params will be needed for sure as the first step.The next thing I want to ask is about the Pleco.How long have you had him,and have you ever seen him bothering/chasing your goldfish?

I only mention this,because it's a proven fact that Pleco's have a bad reputation for attacking goldfish. Once Pleco's get a certain size,they have been known to get quite aggressive,and many people have reported attacks to their goldfish.I'm not saying that this happened,but I am saying that it may be something that you need to be aware of,and keep an eye out for.I think that an injury like this is really hard to pinpoint for time of healing as we don't know if he had any internal damage.Have you seen any signs of swelling,clamped fins,red streaks,etc?

Guest saggs

hi all, thanks for all the support.

fish is still on the bottom, drifting around. he's breathing well and i am managing to hand feed him small amounts of food (i gently held him upright when feeding). The plec has never been a problem to the goldfish and spends his time under the filter venturing out at night but he does keep away from the goldfish.

The three goldfish were waiting for their food in their usual position(i was late feeding them by an hour) and the injured one always jostles the other two at feeding time and regulary gives a large swish of the tail and slops the water out of the tank.

There are no outward signs of any damage or blood that i can see. He can see ok and can use his front fins still.

I've done a 25% water change and added aquarium salt and a tonic, along with plent of stress zyme and some bacteria filter additive

I did a water test and nitrates were rather high at 150 but everything else was about normal. I shall do another 25% change in the morning and change the carbon filter pad.

I must admit to not doing a water change recently for the last 6 weeks as I have been off work with an inner ear problem giving me vertigo, making it difficult to carry buckets of water around.

I keep checking on the tank every hour but can see no improvement. The other lager golfish seems to be gently trying to prop up the sick one on a regular basis although he is perhaps siizing up his buddy for a snack.

Ive increased the aeriation and turned up the thermostat to around 19c.

Anyone got any advice on how long I should leave him before it's time to put him down and what would be the kindedst way.

Many thanks

regards

Saggs

(time for a large scotch :-0)

:o Oh my,I have to say that your Nitrates are really in an awful place. :yikes Our recommendation is to keep them near 40,and 10- 20 ppms if at all possible is rather ideal. Sorry to hear about your Vertigo,but not changing your water regularly,may have been part of the initial problem of why he may have been trying to jump.Poor water params have been known to make fish do that.Well,since you're not obviously seeing any other severe symptoms and such,it may be more of a good bruising type of injury which could take a bit of time to heal.Of course we can't see inside him,so you'll want to continue to keep an eye for any odd behaviors/symptoms. Is he pooing normal?

If I were you,I'd start with alot of 50% water changes to get those Nitrates under control,as they can lead to alot more problems.

Guest saggs

just done another water test and If i'm reading it correctly my nitrites are showing >21 d gh=dt=th nitrate 250, carbonate hardness between 3 and 6 and ph 7.2

another water change due in the morning

I dont think he has pooed at all but is not looking bloated.

regards

Saggs

Guest saggs

I have mis-read the stupid colour chart, GH is 21 which is general hardness, nitrites are 0 or just 1, but nitrates are 250 unfortunately

regards

Saggs

Hi again Saggs,

Sorry to hear about your vertigo- I have had that and it is really scary. I'm hoping that as Devs said above you can get the nitrates down with several large water changesas that's a really high reading!. Your tank has enough bioload with 0 nitrites to handle several larger frequent w/cs when you get a chance. Sooner better.

Good luck and hopefully he will pull through :) . If you ever need to consider euthanising as you mention, there is a thread about how to do it posted in either here, emergency or discussion forum.

Guest saggs

Just had the vet round to have Grumpy put to sleep.

He'd not been getting any better and had stopped eating and the vet had a good look at him and checked him over after sedating him. He suggested some further treatment but felt that there was not much hope as he could not right himself or use his tail.

I didn't feel like subjecting him to xrays and further messing around and having spent this morning watching him in the tank I realised the time had come.

The vet gave him some more oil of cloves to further sedate him and a very large injection into the abdomen and he drifted away over the next five minutes. I don't think I could have euthinased him myself and it was worth the ?60 for the vet's visit (he was a fish keeper himself and was very sympathetic)

One strange thing that happened when the vet had lifted him from the bucket and was administering the injection was that the other sighted goldfish in the tank went wild at this point banging on the glass and swimming around aggressively - as if he could see what was going on and knew what was happening!

The wife will help with the burial this evening and then I think I shall have a few beers. :cry1

Thank you all for you advice and support over the past few days

regards

Saggs

ps I've done three 50% water changes this week and the nitrates have come down to 100 and i'll be off to the aquarium shop this weekend for some more plants and probably a replacement for Grumpy.

Guest Kiki Lola

Aww Saggs I'm so sorry :( :( :( your poor fish. Whatever happens, please don't blame yourself (I know alot of fish owners do when their fish dies), at least he's a peace now.

Have a beer for your fish, I shall have one too :) RIP :(

Im sorry to hear about Grumpy. :( 13 years is a long time! Most fish dont even get to see close to half of that.

Just noticed the test results ...do you use the Tetra Test 5 in 1 strips? I just ask b/c I have those too and think they are pretty poor in terms of accuracy. Colours run into eachother and it makes them hard to assess properly. They also give me different results to the API Masterkit that ive got.

I'm sorry you lost him saggs :cry1 As a suggestion, before adding any new fish to the tank, i'd try and get the nitrates down further. Another 50% waterchange will get them to around the 50 mark and then one last 50% change down to 25%. This is a rough guestimate because I haven't taken into account the natural increase resulting from your current bioload :)

Guest Kiki Lola

How you doing Saggs? Are the other fish coping well? Do fish mourn? I'm just wondering, as obviously grumpy was in there for a while :)

*hugs*

Archived