Rotfl~

smwilliams

SO, i went to vvvv to buy some "pest" snails for my puffers to eat (since they are picky and will only eat them). Apparently, They had just cleaned out their tanks and were throwing a bunch of snails away. i'm talking ALOT of snails. the guy gave me the whole bag for free. i was wanting two dozen, hoping to colonize my puffer tank a bit so i wouldn't have to buy them constantly or set up a "snail" bredding ground rubbermaid. well, i put them in and low and behold, alot more of those guys were in there than i thought, and now seem to be happy as (snails?) to be in a new tank. i put two especially pretty ones in my goldie tank, because these aren't all pest snails, i am almost certain some are juvenile apples. so anyway, i am probably going to be out the wazoo in snails, but my puffers should be quite happy and fat, so long as i keep their water sparkle fresh. i guess it's a darn good thing i like snails. i will inevitably have to get rid of some of them if they breed like everyone says they do... luckily i know of a fish tank at work i can colonize. ahahaha! IF ANYONE IS IN MY AREA AND NEEDS SOME SNAILS>>>> LEMME KNOW!

i thought some of you might get a kick out of this. a free laugh at my expense.! go ahead, giggle at stupid :lol1 shaylen!!!

Guest fishcrazy101

see what happens (well at least your tank will be cleaner.) also puffers need to eat snails so there teeth will not be overgrown :bingo:

:rofl Yep I was one of the ones who suggested it? but I guess I left out the part about the snails being prolific breeders!!! Don't worry, your puffs will have the numbers down soon!

some of these guys are big... about nickle sized i'd say. i think my puffers are like seriously WTF! here are some pics. you can see my puffer hiding in one of the plants. i really do think they're scared as to what took over their tank.

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0001.jpg

anyone know what these raid snails are? they are mighty cool looking.

They're planorbids, or "ramshorn", and if you can get the blues and reds to breed true you can sell them on aquabid for pretty good money; each color has to be kept in a seperate tank for breeding purposes though, otherwise you'll get just brown. Nice find! I've been looking for some blues myself; I sell my reds anywhere from $5-$10 a dozen online, considering how they breed that's pretty good!

well i feel like a snail murderer and abortionist. i cleaned out two clutches off my goldie tank (which has one blue and three reds in it. sm, med, and lrg.) that tank has FOUR SNAILS... and had two clutches within three days. they had an orangish tint, and i have a large red in there, so i am assuming they were from (her?). i don't even know if they were fertile or not. then i plucked a bunch out of my puffer tank and "let them go" outside. i couldn't stand to trash them... which is where they were at vvvv anyway. if they die, at least i gave them a few more days. i just had to cut down the numbers in my puffer tank. ever since adding them, the puffers have seemed scared. they don't swim around or play anymore. heck, i don't even know if they are eating them. so, by and by, i am going to try to thin the population a bit. also, the nitrite in BOTH tanks is sky high... so i don't need any more lives on my hands than there already are! * i am stupid, stupid, stupid* but like i said, at least they got three more days...

I've never had any problems with my red rams in with them :D . Also, if you don't mind shipping, don't trash them! Even the regular browns will usually go on aquabid (sometimes only for shipping, but it puts them to use and gives you another feedback). Letting them go is never a good idea, especially if they're not native to your area; releasing non-native species is a federal offense and can cause problems in the ecosystem. Shipping can be a little tricky this time of year with unpredictable weather, but once spring hits they're very easy. Btw...if you start shipping, save me some blues!

I agree, don't EVER EVER EVER release anything from your tank to the outside environment!! That is a huge no no in the aquarium hobby, and people doing things like that are the very reason that in my state, CAlifornia, we have such severe restrictions on what can be kept and imported here. Irresponsible pet owners have cost everyone.

Climbing off soapbox now... :)

Even putting them down a drain can be harmful, so if you don't want them just kill them. The blues are absolutely beautiful and I've never actually seen them before. I used to have some gorgeous reds though. And you have no problem keeping them in your goldie tank provided the goldies don't eat them.

The puffs really need to eat tiny snails though to get the benefits of the crushing shells. They should know how to pick through and find the babies/eggs.

well i definitely don't want to be deemed an irresponsible pet owner. :( i am at fault for not knowing much about snails, then again, i thought most of them were dead. i'm very sorry if my ignorance about the matter offended any of you, and i am trying to do my best here. i feel awful and have been told i can "donate" to the tank where i work. that still won't aleviate the issue completely, so i am going to start calling lfs's to see if they might want them. again... i'm sorry.

if you really have no other choice then it would be best if you could get a tank that is dedicated to keeping these snails, and as some others have already said, you could sell some of them for quite some money(why not?) and if you really don't want them then either kill them or give them around to some snail lovers.

They're very easy critters to ship too, just double-bag them in clean water in a ziplock bag and they're good to go anywhere in the country, I've never had a fatality when shipping rams. If you get so many you can't keep the numbers down, there are several ways people often use to euthenize including freezing or dropping them into salt or household cleaners; I know these sound horrible, but it's better than getting super over-crowded or introducing a non-native species to the ecosystem. Don't worry, everyone has bumps in the road, this is a learning experience :D

My goodness those are a lot of snails!

Do they not soil the tank pretty quickly with such a number? I dunno about ramshorns but my three (two small, one big) apple snails are incredible poop producers!

they do poop a lot, but in dealing with goldfish poop, it's not all that bad i guess. My puffers have finally acquired a taste for ramshorn snails though, so the numbers are thinning. i did have a clutch hatch though, so they should be perpetuating themselves enough to keep feeding the puffs.

O my gosh .. that's a lot of snails!!!

Can your puffer eat the big snails?

I actually just got myself some clown loaches to get rid of snail .. they gross me out.

Did you get those pond snails from a pet mega mart?

• 4 weeks later...

The puffers have thinned down the population... ALOT. I have very few big guys left, and they knock the babies out as well. My puffers will eat any size, they just attack the "meat" part of the snail. They've been eating a lot of bloodworms lately too, so I am thinking the snails are really getting to be slim pickins. I still have one large snail in my 29 gal goldie tank that has made it through various obstacles. It's name is Big Red, and it poops a lot, I think my tank is keeping pretty clean thanks to Red.

Archived