20 Gallon

Guest Sashimi

Guest Sashimi

I'm getting a 20 gallon tank tomorrow (I found a great deal on it, so I figured 'why not?') and I'd love to get a goldfish for it but, since I've only ever had bettas, I'm somewhat at a loss. I'm planning to get a Ryukin and am wondering if 20 gallons would be big enough for two of them, or if I could put some other, smaller breed in with just one (I'd feel bad if he/she had to live by themselves) and, if so, what a good breed would be.

Thanks!

I'm completely with you on not wanting fish to be lonely!

If you're getting them young / smaller, 2 would be more than okay in a 20 gallon. As they grow, it could get tight, but it still fits the 10 gal / fish.

Fishless Cycling

Here's a link for a good article to read about fishless cycling. The site is down right now but when it comes back up it will help you out a lot. I have been cycling for almost 3 weeks now, so sometimes it takes longer than just two. You can't just set up a tank and expect it to be OK for yor fish without first introduing a source of ammonia and then letting the cycle build.

Of course, you can cycle with fish buts it not really reccomended because it can be very hard on the fish. You have to commit yourself to a large amount of water changes. If you can't commit that much time, I would suggest a fishless cycle.

I would also invest is a Master Test Kit, it will really come in handy!

Guest Sashimi

Wow, you guys replied fast! :D

Fishcrazy: I am planning to cycle the tank first, I just like planning ahead so I have something to look forward to. :) I figured that only one would be a good fit, do you have any suggestions on smaller fish that could keep him company? Thanks for the link, I can't wait to explore it.

Hlusak: Lol, I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes to give their fish friends! I think Fishcrazy scared me away from putting two in the tank, thanks, though!

Edit:

Kimma: Thanks for the link, no worries about me putting the fish in before the cycling is through, though; the last thing I want is to put strain on the fish.

Compatable Fish

Here is another good link for you to check out too. You will have to wait until the site comes back up thoug. I can't wait until my tank finishes cycling, I am chomping at the bit to get a new fish. I have to force myself NOT to go to the LFS. I am not strong enough to say no.

Goldfish are a lot of fun and have great personalitites. I would love to see pics when you finally do get yours. I am not sure where you are from but another good tip I have learned for here is that is you have a vvvvv near you they will match their prices pulled from the website if you print them out and take them to the store with you. I got a $29.99 master test kit for $13.49!

Guest Sashimi

Thanks for the link, I hope the site comes back soon.

I'm sure I'll be posting tons of pictures once I get my fish (I tend to be a horrible show off when it comes to my pets...) I actually already do the vvvv thing, I was able to get a $40 heater for my bettas for $20 with a price from their site. :D

You could try rosy reds in with your goldfish. They can live in the same temps as gf and are not aggresive. They like to school so you should have at least 2 but they stay small, 2-3 in. And they are cheap, only 12 cents each at vvvv. I want some but my tanks are set up at my boyfriend's house (mine has no room!) and he doesn't really like rosies. He prefers the more colorful fish. But I think rosies are cute and should be rescued and recognized as more than just "baitfish". :) Here's a link to rosy red info--

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/rosies.htm

Archived