Amount Of Light Time?

Guest oregongal

Guest oregongal

I am fairly new, and am not sure about the amount of time to leave the lights on in the tank.

The last couple of nights I have turned them out when I go to bed.On again when I get up.

Is this OK?

Is there a rule of thumb to follow for lights on.

Sue

mine come on when we get up (10-12 ish- we work second shift) and go out about 11... sometimes sooner if we're home. my little oranda "goes to sleep" under "his" plant, in the same spot every night, so when he goes to sleep, i turn the light off. when he gets more protein, he has a bit more energy, either that or when the water is a bit cooler, so when he stays up later, i give him a bit more light, but i pretty much do about 12 hours, and give my John Waters what my John Waters wants. (he's so spoiled) i wouldn't have it any other way of course. =)

Guest oregongal

Thank you all so much, its great to have such a group to chat with.

I really want to do this all the correct way for the fish.

I really tend to let the tank just have natural daylight for as long as its bright enough, about 5pm, 6pm I switch the tank lights on till maybe 8pm and then turn them off and just let it be lit by the room side light which is pretty dim and they go into complete darkness then from between 12-1am when I go to bed. :D

Light timings will also depend on whether you are/or intend to introduce live plants into your setup and also how much natural light your tank recieves (depending on where it is positioned in your home) You may also need to adjust your lighting in response to brown/green algae levels too. Day/Night routines are important to goldfish health. I recommend using a timer too :)

Archived