Yay!

I got my 2.5 gallon set up with a bare bottom, a sponge filter, and some fake hornwort in anticipation of the impending guppy invasion.

Funny part is, the female has the black spots, and is quite fat, but the male still flirts and courts her, it's just that now she chases him away when he gets too close.

Oh, and I picked up some frozen baby brine shrimp and Hikari First Bites as well.

I hope I'm not jinxing anything....

You should be ready because when he is chasing her, the babies are almost ready to come out. Be prepared. This is when I separate my females from the males if I want to save the fry. I would recommend the same thing. Good luck and please let us know what you decide to do.

Yeah. He's going pretty nutso over her, but in spurts. If she swims by, he zooms off after her like a cruise missile.

She's gotten fat too. And her black spot is darker.

Stupid me bought frozen brine shrimp when I needed frozen bloodworms (she loves the bloodworms) so now I'm stocked up on shrimp for the babies at least :D

Now, once she starts popping out fry, do I remove her when she's done, or leave her in there?

Should I put her in one of those spawning nets and let the fry have the run of the tank?

Right now there's two big branchy plastic hornwort plants, and I have a real plant (some kind of fern, said Tropica, but it looks like a Java) growing out a bit in the 5 gallon that I'm probably going to put in so there's some more hiding spots and something for the fry to munch on.

I took the male out, so the female gets to hang out in the plants by herself, I also took out the regular filter so it's just the sponge filter (instead of both) because it looked like she was really laboring to swim in the current.

Now she's just hanging out in one spot, and her black spot looks like it faded. Is it really the fry's eyes, or is it just a patch of color they get when the male's around?

Archived