How To Keep Goldfish From Breeding?

Guest myfourgoldies

Guest myfourgoldies

I have four gold fish and i think they have hatched fry today, or recently. I was cleaning their tank today and found a bunch of little fry. I think they are goldfish but I am not sure. I want to try and raise these little one and have found a bunch of information THANK YOU to all that posted. BUT..... my dillemma is that I realy do not want to have this conitnue to happen. I love my fish dearly but my husband is sick of the money we spend on them. I was wondering if there is a way to prevent breeding that will not harm the fish or reduce their quality of life. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

I think that really the only 100% way to stop your fish from making babies is to seperate them.

But there are things you can do regarding temperature, I know. I think in order to get your fish to breed you give them a cold spell with a warm spell, so you'd want to AVOID that.

Also, if you're not morally opposed to it, I've heard that the fish will eat up their fry if you just leave them in there. Problemo solved.

Otherwise, I don't know? I'm sure more experienced people will be able to help more...

good luck!

I also believe that the best way is still to separate them. even with avoiding the temperature fluctuations, you will still get them into breeding mood.

however if you were to just leave the eggs alone(if it so happens that they did lay some eggs) most of them will be eaten up... but if you see that there are some that have hatched in safety(which in your case did), then ermmmm keep them??? XD

Guest myfourgoldies

Holy moly what a weekend!!!! Trying to learn to take care of baby goldfish is as huge task and then putting that knowledge to use. Man I am glad I found this site!!!!!!! The babies are separated from parents and seem to be thriving a growing!!! I couldn't leave them to be eaten, I felt so bad when I realized they were there and I didn't even have a clue they big guys ( and girls!!) were getting busy.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did not change the temperature to try and induce this and they have a good quality heater that maintains their tank temp at a recommended level, or well at least the thermometer seems to say it does. SO..... as per suggestions and great desire not to have more babies I have purchased a new tank yesterday. I have it set up and cycling (I think that is the right word) so that I can separate.

From other threads and informational pages I am reasonable certain I have two girls and two boys. The boys are littler and have the breeding spots (or stars, turbicules??) on their fins. I don't see them on their gills but they move around so fast I can't seem to get a good look.

It sounds like this is really the time of year for babies and so many others have new youngins too.

thanks again for the help

Good luck to everyone with babies and thanks for all the help!!!!!

Archived