Please Pray To The New Tank Gods For Me

lepirin

If I can schedule a pickup time with this guy from Craigslist, I'll be getting a 30 gallon tank with stand at some point this weekend!

Darmok won't have to live in the little 10 gallon anymore!

There are no pictures of the tank, but he says it has no chips or scratches... I'm hoping that it is what he says it is.

I don't know the form factor that it is using, and I have this odd feeling it is really a 29 gallon, but since it will only ever be housing at the MOST two fancies, it doesn't really matter. I have space for any size that 30's come in, and I know it isn't one of those hexagonal tall tanks, so I'm not worried.

So my tentative plan is to purchase another penguin 350, along with a maxi-jet 400 powerhead and a 100 watt stealth visit-therm heater. I've already got a 50 watt heater, so I'm going to run them both at the same time.

I'm so excited I can barely think!

Right now I have Darmok in a 10 gallon running a Penguin 150. Just like when I upgraded last time, I don't really have the space to cycle a tank while the old one is running, so I was thinking about using half old water from my 40 gallon, and half new water, half old media, half new media, and half old rocks, half new rocks... and just have Darmok be the only fish in there until I make sure that the water is stable. Does that sound like a good choice?

After it has been running a while, I plan to put Jalad in there, leaving Cass and Leo alone in their 40 gallon.

They are all under four inches long, not including tail fins, so I'm not worried about a stocking problem, just a fighting problem.

I'm going to have to move my bed to make wall space for the new tank, but I really don't care. It'll be nice to have my room rearranged anyway.

Even though I'm hopefully getting the tank this weekend, I won't have the filter or heater for another two weeks almost, because I have to wait for my birthday to actually happen.

Sounds like a plan! I hope the tank is everything you wish and more. :)

( and I STILL love those Star Trek names...... I did not get my Star Trek "fix" today - the satalite is down because of the blizzard.... :krazy: ***runs babbling into the closet to watch the fish*** )

*grins and bounces*

The bleaching the tank, checking for leaks and rearranging my room aught to keep me occupied until I can get my stuffs. I'm going to have to both buy from the LFS and get stuff online, but it'll be worth it.

I'm trying so hard to control the "But I have room for more fish!" urge right now. I don't even have room for them yet, and I want to get more. I just hope that I am able to control myself for the next several years while my goldfish live out their lives in peace.

(I'm also very happy with the Star Trek names... I need to watch more Trek, haven't in months.)

I controlled my "But I have the room for new fish!" urge by buying a snail, :D

Good luck to you! I had arranged to buy a 30 gal off craigslist for $20 and it turned out to be a 29 but that worked BETTER for my space so I was hyped.

I think your plan is pretty good. When I switched from a 10 to a 30 my fish went right out of one into the other. I used all the water from the old tank (half emptied it, put that in the new tank, then lugged loads of water, added decorations and filters and everything, then transferred poor fish who had been chilling in half a tank for an hour or so, then put in the rest of the old water) and the same media. My cycle was pretty newly established and I had a little nitrite bump and had to do a 40% water change the next day but besides that it's worked fine.

Good luck! Can't wait to see pics : )

I controlled my "But I have the room for new fish!" urge by buying a snail, :D

Good luck to you! I had arranged to buy a 30 gal off craigslist for $20 and it turned out to be a 29 but that worked BETTER for my space so I was hyped.

I think your plan is pretty good. When I switched from a 10 to a 30 my fish went right out of one into the other. I used all the water from the old tank (half emptied it, put that in the new tank, then lugged loads of water, added decorations and filters and everything, then transferred poor fish who had been chilling in half a tank for an hour or so, then put in the rest of the old water) and the same media. My cycle was pretty newly established and I had a little nitrite bump and had to do a 40% water change the next day but besides that it's worked fine.

Good luck! Can't wait to see pics : )

*giggles* I have a snail! His name is Hermie, he's one of those snails you get infesting plants when you buy them. The plant died, he lived. He laid eggs in his little bowl for a month, and I cleaned them out every day, and changed his water. Now he lives in a 1.5 gallon tank with a few plastic plants and bright blue gravel, and is happy as can be. I'd love to get him a friend, as the little tank is big enough for two guys his size, but the problem is that he'll make babies with anybody who I give him... darn hermaphroditic species *giggles more*

I could stick a snail in there, but if the fish end up attacking it, I'd have no place to house it. Not to mention that one of the great things about being "understocked" is that I don't have to do 50% water changes every week, I can get away with 25-30% instead.

I have an appointment set up with "Ben" for Sunday at 2:30... so hopefully I'll have a tank and stand and hood. It will so clash with my current tank. One on a nice metal stand with a real hood and the other on a cinder block stand with a home made support bracket with plexiglass for the top... *shrugs* the fish don't care.

Archived