Bubbles Is Dying

Blue

Can'/t post params as just moved her from her tank to a tub.

Got home found her floating at top of tank.Breathing is shallow at times shes on her side.She has some black patchs prob healing ammonia burns I suspect due to water probs during time she was on meds which killed tank cycle.She occasionally tries to upright herself.

She is now in unfiltered tub with airline in no meds just fresh dechlorinated water.plus a heater.

After all my recent losses I guess I'm gonni loss her too :cry1

Blue I am so sorry to hear this. You have so had a rough time of late, hopefully this one will pull thru.

Now, try and get us the params for the tank you just moved her from. Obviously you were aware of a cycle problem. Can you describe what was happening with the water? How long was it high, what was high and how long ago?

Since we know water is playing a part in this. Getting her in perfect water is good. It will give her the best chance. Can't advise any further on this without knowing how long ago her water was bad. But you are on the right path with getting her iso'ed now with perfect water.

A couple things come to mind.................

This could be all water related, but I am suspecting something else with the recent onset of deaths.

Have all these fish that died been in the same tank?

Is something lurking killing them off one by one????????

Was cross contamination a part of it, if they are in different tanks??

OH I guess I should say that at this point I would add oxygen to the iso tank she is in and if you have a medicated food start that. But if I remember right you don't have any............darn it.

Do you have any antibotics you can make into a gel food for her?

What symptoms are you seeing that could be the common demominator in all these deaths? Hopefully we can get things worked out to help you.

Sukai was in another tank when he got sick.I have just noticed Bubbles looks rather thin like her swimbladder has deflated.

Already oxygenating water.Got antibiotic powder that can be added direct to water as she isnt eating tonight despite food going in.

Sukai was killed by meds I assume as fin rot was going as all red streaks had vanished from his body.Same meds used as for Bubbles when she had Dropsy.

I have never seen a fish with a swim bladder deflated... but I have seen a number of them that have stopped eating and gotten skinny VERY quickly - amazingly so. Is it possible that she has not been eating or eating well the past few weeks?

IF she is floating, you need to institute immediate procedures. As Laurie has said, getting her into pristine water is essential - you have done that. You need to keep it that way. I would warm it up - to 76-78F if you can. Add in salt to the 0.3% can help stave off a few problems.... Having good aeration as you have, now, is a good thing.

That leaves you tackling what is really wrong.

What meds killed Sukai? Are you sure it was the meds - or perhaps the fact that the meds did not treat what was wrong? (Or did not treat it soon enough?) If you are in doubt as to the meds - or their ability to cure as opposed to kill, you may wish to hold off. If you think that Bubbles is going to die without intervention, then you might as well try what you have - the worst it could do it kill her faster (I REALLY do not mean to sound heartless - I know that panic you are feeling. You want to do it all , but are afraid to try anything. The way I see it - you have limited resources in the medications category, right? So you are faced with treating or not treating. You have to weigh the two options and determine which has more chance of success).

Could it be that Sukai was healing (the tail was getting better you say) but another strain of bacteria or another problem came in as a secondary infection and killed her, not the meds?

I certainly wished you had injectable antibiotics at this moment....

:cry1

I have a heater in with her I always keep one spare for my tub.

The reason I suspect meds is Bubbles started acting weird when 2nd dose went in on day 3 which is day Sukai passed away.I did water change and Bubbles picked up.I dare not salt as Bubbles is less than 2inchs without tail I dont want to put anymore strain on her body than its under.

Blue I too think something else is going on with your tanks. At some point I think a bacteria was cross contaminated between tanks.

And if it was the medicine causing the problem it would've happend on the onset of the med, not after the 2nd dose was added.

I think at this point to help you are going to need to treat with what medicine you can get. Something is going on that you need to pin point. Whether it be parasite or bacterial in nature.

Another thing, at this point salt may help. I know you said the fish is small and wouldn't do well, but at thisp point you don't have anything to lose if the fish is that bad.

I am sorry that this all is happening to you and your fish, I wish I could do more.

Thanks Laurie but she passed away quietly and quicky last night :cry1

Shes now burried next to Sukai :cry1

:( Aww Blue,I'm sorry to hear this as I know how bad you must feel.I think that with all the fish loses in such a short period of time though that you'll have to dig deep and figure out the "Whys",for there seems to be some reason,whether you're cross-contaminating the tanks,or what,that you are losing so many fish.

Once again,I'm really sorry. :heart

I usually wash my hands between tanks.I think I introduced something to Bubbles tank when Sukai moved in.The tank is being striped nuked then fishless cycled dunno whats going in there yet tho.

I'm so sorry Blue :cry1

I think you're in the same boat as I where meds are concerned. Because of the restrictions, the meds on offer are at best OK and don't cover the host of problems that can occur.

Do you have a vet you know? I've found the only time I can resolve anything like this is by relying on either Doxycycline or Metronidazole to resolve bad bacterial infections. So if you have a vet you know, maybe you can approach them? Otherwise, I'd be willing to try and get some to you (5 of each?) which would make up a decent amount of medicated food as there's no wastage. I have to take Jack to the vet tomorrow so could approach him for more....

Just pm me if you want me to grab some...

Blue I am sorry you have lost another one. It may be time to quarantee each tank. Keep all equipment and such for each individual tank. Washing your hands in between is good, but often not enough, the equipment you use to change water and such can also cross contaminate.

Again I am so sorry. I hope you get to the bottom of all this soon.

Laurie I have separate nets and stuff for each tank the only common peices of equipment are my syphon and gravel cleaner.

Thanks MrB dunno where on earth to buy PP here never bought it before.Which stores sell that stuff ?

Thanks Jen

Thanks MrB dunno where on earth to buy PP here never bought it before.Which stores sell that stuff ?

I got mine from Ebay for disinfecting plants, you can get it from most aquatic shops as it's sold as a common pond treatment for parasites, quite expensive though but you get a big tub. If you have trouble finding any, PM me and I can send you enough to disinfect a tank etc. you won't need much, a little goes a long way :)

Archived