Stocking Suggestions

yazooo

Well i've got a 12x12x12 (7 Gallons) cube tank thatll complete its fishless cycle shortly and im wondering what to put in it.

Ive never owned anything other than goldies before so definitely a novice in this field.

My ideal tank in habitants would be:

Cute!

Have character/personality.

Fairly easy to care for (novice friendly!)

Small adult size, obviously.

As individual as possible (fish that all look identical dont really appeal so much to me.)

As long lived as possible.

So not much to ask for really!!! :exactly:P

I know its a pretty tall order, but is there anything you can think of that fits the bill?

:) Its the obvious choice isnt it?

The only thing I find slightly off putting about Bettas is the longevity thing. Ideally id like the fish to live.. forever! Nah, about 4-5years would be my ideal kind of average lifespan. From what I gather 2 is the rough average?

Ive a feeling that the current from the filter might be a little strong for a Betta? Its a Fluval Plus 1, the smallest internal fluval but still produces a current.

Yeah, I'd say 2-3 years is average for Bettas, they are great companions though :yeah:

There are ways around the filtration issues though, there is a member here who has a 5 gallon Betta tank with a Fluval 1 plus and she uses a spray bar to slow things down, so it can be done. I have a Fluval 1 plus in my 10 gallon Betta tank and that works outs fine.

I'm not sure what else you could keep in a 7 gallon cube, what are the dimensions? Other than Bettas and WCMM's I'm not really a "tropical" person so I can't think of anything else. I'm sure another member will have some more ideas for you.

I have a 10 gallon WCMM tank and that works well, but as they are schooling fish they do need swimming space so tank length is important. My 10 gal is nearly a half meter long so that does give them some length, not sure about a cube though :)

Excuse me! I just saw the dimensions... WCMM could work in there, maybe 6?

Hmm... I wonder what else could go in there

Hmm... I'd suggest guppies, but they aren't long lived at all.

Betta life spans vary dramatically. Most petstore bettas only like 1-3 years after purchase, but if you can find a good breeder who focuses on genetic health and you take care of him or her very well, I don't see why he or she wouldn't live 4-5 years. A trio of cories would make good companions.

Most small tetras live 4-8 years, but they are not so individualistic.

African Dwarf Frogs live 4-8 years, but then again they are a little more advanced in feeding requirements if that bothers you.

Platies would fill the bill pretty nicely. They have a lot more personality than most tetras I've seen, and there is such a wide variety of colors and fin types it'd be easy to find two or three very different ones, they're probably my favorite small tropical other than bettas.

I agree with platies--they are awesome little fish! I have 3 males and they are all different and totally good natured. Here's a link to some platy info--

http://www.fishdeals.com/livebearers/platies/

Swordtails would be a good choice too or mollies. But if you go with mollies I would have a molly only tank. I had a couple for awhile and they both would peck at other fish.

Guest im-trying

you could get a honey gourami and a few small tetras like neons or micro rasbora or if you can get them the new galaxy rasbora saw some for the first time today and nearly drooled lol

Archived